What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nomenclature question, ethically labelling...

Hi there,

I made the following cross few weeks ago:
mother: Pinguicula sp. 'Pachuca'
father: Pinguicula moranensis var. caudata

Should I label the seeds:
1° P. sp. 'Pachuca' x moranensis var. caudata
or
2° P. moranensis var. caudata x sp. 'Pachuca' ?

I never remember in which order we must name the crossing... father x mother or mother x father... I am curious to see the offsprings tough! Should be interesting. I just harvest the seeds today...
Thank you!

The convention is that the seed parent (mother) goes before the pollen donor (father).

So P. sp. 'Pachuca' x moranensis var. caudata is correct.

Vic

I thought recently the parentage order no longer matters?

The maternal (mother) parent is listed first.

Ok thank you all for this
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The convention is that the seed parent (mother) goes before the pollen donor (father).

I consulted the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature (ICBN). It states:

Recommendation H.2A

H.2A.1. It is usually preferable to place the names or epithets in a formula in alphabetical order. The direction of a cross may be indicated by including the sexual symbols ({o+}: female;{o!}: male) in the formula, or by placing the female parent first. If a non-alphabetical sequence is used, its basis should be clearly indicated.

http://www.bgbm.fu-berlin.de/iapt....002.htm

Furthermore, Jan Schlauer stated, "In horticultural tradition the first parent used to be the mother (this tradition is followed e.g. in the cp database). The ICBN proposes to list the parents in alphabetical order (for nomenclatural purposes the order is immaterial, anyway; but some horticulturally significant information is lost this way). Therefore it depends on the context in which a hybrid formula is given. For the sake of clarity it is recommended to indicate the gender of the parents by suitable symbols or abbreviations."

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cplist/MsgDetails.php?id=25132

Emesis,

Outstanding, thanks for doing the research on this one.

Back