What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice not to use mussel shells

I wanted to try the shell-growing method for a mexi-ping - in this case a little p.esseriana. I didn't have a spare abalone shell to use, so I tried a mussel shell filled with peat and live spag dressing on top (sounds tasty, eh?). Anyhow, I don't advise it. For some reason, wet mussel shell smells AWFUL starting on the third day. Anyone know if abalone stinks as also?

The plant and spag are doing fine but...it's just stinky. I have it suspended between two plastic cups taped lid to lid. Everytime I open it up I have to hold my nose. Fair warning!
tounge.gif

Perhaps you didn't clean it well enough.

Inside was completely clean, and I toothbrushed the outside. Was I supposed to take off the purple/brown coating on the outside? And what would I use for something like that? Sandpaper, steel wool?
rock.gif

Did you use bleach? Thats what my Grandma did for some shells, and even that didn't quite get rid of the smell.

I'd imagine abalone shells are easier to clean though.

Put it outside near an ant hill. They will clean every bit of organic material off in a couple of days.

Hm, both good ideas. I'd be a bit reluctant to use bleach in case it hurt the ping later. As for the ants...I'm sure I can find a few friendly helpers. I'll have to get back to everyone on this. The shell might simply stink because of its components.

Oh gross, nevermind! Last night I noticed the shell started to grow that even smellier white long mold (like jack-o-lantern mold). Time to repot and toss. Maybe I'll grind up the shell and mix with peat.

Back