What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

autumn flowering

My ionantha flowered this spring, as expected, but is it normal and OK for it to send up a flower stalk during the Fall season?  I use a consistent rotating photoperiod of 16 hours in summer and 12 in winter.  The temps have been a bit warmer in the terrarium just recently, maybe that has something to do with it?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

-Homer

My P. primuliflora is doing the same thing. Don't worry about it, if it is flowering, it is happy. My plant stopped active growth in September, and apparently had all the rest it needed between then and now. P. pumilla is currently flowering in a friends collection in Florida. I'd say for our plants, it's an early spring which suits me just fine!

Homer, post a pic when it gets up if you can, then you can check for sure if its an ionantha. (you were wondering about that some time ago, right?)
smile.gif

My coloney of ionantha seem to be enjoyng itself also, they are flowering, as well as most my other pings. If you are sure of the ID of ionantha, do collect some seed. Insert a toothpick in and out and pollinate it. Good luck-Zach

Yes, I was wondering about this some time ago.  Here's a picture I took today of the plant:

ionantha.jpg

I took a pin and insterted it in and out a few times.  Didn't see that much visible pollen, but I did it anyway.
wink.gif

-Homer

Hey,
Nice plant Homer! It does appear to be P. ionantha.
Kevin

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>My S.E. USA Pinguicula, P. lutea, P. caerulea, P. ionantha, P. primuliflora, and P. planifolia have always bloomed for me in both Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter. They are almost always blooming -- short rest periods between blooming. I find it most convenient, I can produce seed almost whenever I want some.

When traveling in the Florida panhandle I often observed local Pinguicula populations had many blooming plants in January. I saw Pinguicula planifolia blooming with its flower stalk poking through (actually captured by) a sheet of ice frost that had formed on the surface of the slow moving water it was growing in (more accurately it was growing in soil covered by a 3-4 inch layer of water).

Check out what my SE USA Pinguicula are doing right now, photo below and more at 7Dec03 Photo Gallery.

p_ionantha_clone_2.jpg
</span>

Back