Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: autumn flowering

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

My ionantha flowered this spring, as expected, but is it normal and OK for it to send up a flower stalk during the Fall season? I use a consistent rotating photoperiod of 16 hours in summer and 12 in winter. The temps have been a bit warmer in the terrarium just recently, maybe that has something to do with it?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

-Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My P. primuliflora is doing the same thing. Don't worry about it, if it is flowering, it is happy. My plant stopped active growth in September, and apparently had all the rest it needed between then and now. P. pumilla is currently flowering in a friends collection in Florida. I'd say for our plants, it's an early spring which suits me just fine!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Homer, post a pic when it gets up if you can, then you can check for sure if its an ionantha. (you were wondering about that some time ago, right?) [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My coloney of ionantha seem to be enjoyng itself also, they are flowering, as well as most my other pings. If you are sure of the ID of ionantha, do collect some seed. Insert a toothpick in and out and pollinate it. Good luck-Zach
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Yes, I was wondering about this some time ago. Here's a picture I took today of the plant:

[img]http://home.**********.com/homer/ionantha.jpg[/img]

I took a pin and insterted it in and out a few times. Didn't see that much visible pollen, but I did it anyway. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

-Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,
    Nice plant Homer! It does appear to be P. ionantha.
    Kevin
    Kevin Peterson
    Grosse Pointe, MI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My S.E. USA Pinguicula, P. lutea, P. caerulea, P. ionantha, P. primuliflora, and P. planifolia have always bloomed for me in both Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter. They are almost always blooming -- short rest periods between blooming. I find it most convenient, I can produce seed almost whenever I want some.

When traveling in the Florida panhandle I often observed local Pinguicula populations had many blooming plants in January. I saw Pinguicula planifolia blooming with its flower stalk poking through (actually captured by) a sheet of ice frost that had formed on the surface of the slow moving water it was growing in (more accurately it was growing in soil covered by a 3-4 inch layer of water).

Check out what my SE USA Pinguicula are doing right now, photo below and more at 7Dec03 Photo Gallery.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A