Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rapid germination

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to sow on a peat mix and put the pots in the fridge every night, as I am told it gets rather cool their at night.

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, my announcement was a bit premature. It was so exciting to see such encouraging progress. Though the Pinguicula lusitanica is still growing very well. However, those Pinguicula elongata which had been growing the best have been attacked by fungus and are now gone. There are still a few that where expanding their cotyledons, but have since stopped their progress. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] I fear that I may not be able to provide a suitable environment for continued healthy growth of Pinguicula elongata. I understand that the temperature they experience in their native habitat is a drop to freezing (32F - 0C) or near freezing every night. This may very well be why mine did not continue to thrive.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chin up [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] Fungi can get anyone. Don't give up just because the first set to sprout didn't make it. Just look at me and my D. rotundifolia, they all got attacked by fungis almost a year ago right after I planted them and here I am now with 4 new seedlings which have thrived for me [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darcie,

You may be right, but it's heavy burden to bear for Joe, as there have been a lot of people who have tried to get this one going, and he is the only one I have heard with any success. Pings can be TCed from a plant(I think), which means if anyone who sows seed gets one, all the world has a chance to obtain a very rare plant.
    I got seed from the collector twice and had no luck, I sent all the second time to TC people, and they did not get any luck either. The second batch of seed was five months old, or so, as the mail office brought me a pick-up slip and claimed it was the second such one(news to me) to sign for the letter from Colombia. It was postmarked October, and I was signing for it in Jan. or Feb.
    Joe, good luck with those.

Regards,

Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12