What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rapid germination

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
In the early evening on Saturday, 6 Dec 03 I sowed a large group of CP seed, among which were Pinguicula lusitanica and Pinguicula elongata. Yesterday afternoon, on Tuesday, 9 Dec 03 I did a check to see if there were any problems with any of the seed I had sown.

Much to my surprise I observed that some of each of the two subject species had already begun to germinate -- by that I don't just mean imbibition, I mean radicle extension and cotyledon emergence. I sure am warmed to see such excellent germination responses -- makes me wish all the more that all plant seed germinated as easily.

Please keep us updated on the plants, especially the P.elongata.

Wow, quick germination
smile.gif
My P.lusitanica usually sprout within 2 weeks, but never in 3 days
tounge.gif
. Keep us notified about them
smile.gif

really! that's cool
biggrin.gif
good luck growing them

Bjørn
cool.gif

Congratulations on the Pinguicula elongata, this Colombian/Venezuelan species is still very rare in cultivation. Keep us updated on its progress.

I find P. lusitanica germinates rapidly, but 3 days is good going. I find this species does well on the surface of the compost of my sarracenias, it likes the shade the plants provide, and self-seeds itself throughout my collection (prettier than moss too
smile.gif
)

Vic

I am also impressed as I have no germination on my P. elongata seeds. I did the following tries :
- acidic mix outside (winter freeze soon)
- basic mix outside (winter freeze soon)
- live sphagnum moss outside (winter freeze soon)
- acidic mix inside (hot)
- basic mix inside (hot)
- live sphagnum moss inside (hot)
and in-vitro in friends collections in Germany and Australia

Up to now : no germination at all !

Maybe yours were fresher ?

Cheers

Joe,

I just got some P. elongata seed from Lowrie, that I have not sown yet. What did you do to get such great results? Congrats! You are the first person I have heard of to have seed germinate.

Joe

Well, you ARE an expert on growing pings, that alone helps speed germination
smile.gif

I was going to sow on a peat mix and put the pots in the fridge every night, as I am told it gets rather cool their at night.

Joe

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Well, my announcement was a bit premature. It was so exciting to see such encouraging progress. Though the Pinguicula lusitanica is still growing very well. However, those Pinguicula elongata which had been growing the best have been attacked by fungus and are now gone. There are still a few that where expanding their cotyledons, but have since stopped their progress.
sad.gif
 I fear that I may not be able to provide a suitable environment for continued healthy growth of Pinguicula elongata. I understand that the temperature they experience in their native habitat is a drop to freezing (32F - 0C) or near freezing every night. This may very well be why mine did not continue to thrive.</span>

Chin up
smile.gif
Fungi can get anyone. Don't give up just because the first set to sprout didn't make it. Just look at me and my D. rotundifolia, they all got attacked by fungis almost a year ago right after I planted them and here I am now with 4 new seedlings which have thrived for me
biggrin.gif

Darcie,

You may be right, but it's heavy burden to bear for Joe, as there have been a lot of people who have tried to get this one going, and he is the only one I have heard with any success. Pings can be TCed from a plant(I think), which means if anyone who sows seed gets one, all the world has a chance to obtain a very rare plant.
I got seed from the collector twice and had no luck, I sent all the second time to TC people, and they did not get any luck either. The second batch of seed was five months old, or so, as the mail office brought me a pick-up slip and claimed it was the second such one(news to me) to sign for the letter from Colombia. It was postmarked October, and I was signing for it in Jan. or Feb.
Joe, good luck with those.

Regards,

Joe

Back