What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ping flowers

I'm having trouble with one of my P. moranensis clones. Flower scrapes form and the die before they have a chance to open. The scrapes only grow till they are about 1 inch long, then the bud turns kind of gray and goes limp.

Conditions: 10" from 2 40w bulbs, day temp 75F night temp 65F. Plants are are watered from above every other day...water doesn't touch the leaves.

Does anyone know what causes this?

Hey,
Hmm, I would guess not enough humidity, or the plant simply doesnt have enough strength to flower. Did it flower all summer, and never went dormant last year? That could be a reason, or in other words, its to tired. Maybe try to water the plant by touching the leaves? Those are just a couple reasons. Maybe an expert could find the reason.
Kevin

Hi,

Good point on the dormancy. These two plants have not gone into dormacy along with my other pings. In fact, they refuse...I have shortened the photoperiod, cut back on watering and dropped the temp. No dice.

My two plants are just as oozy as ever. If it wasn't so wet in California in the winter...I'd chuck them outside.

I'll try drying them out more to see what happens. Thanks for the reply Sarrlvr!

Mexican Pinguicula don't go into dormancy, they only change their growth patten, some forms/species don't change to winter rosset at all. Mexican Pinguicula don't need high humidity either.
regards Bjørn

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ka_riu @ Dec. 13 2003,17:07)]I'm having trouble with one of my P. moranensis clones.  Flower scrapes form and the die before they have a chance to open.  The scrapes only grow till they are about 1 inch long, then the bud turns kind of gray and goes limp.  

Conditions:  10" from 2 40w bulbs, day temp 75F night temp 65F.  Plants are are watered from above every other day...water doesn't touch the leaves.

Does anyone know what causes this?
HA! I'm not the only one to have trouble with P. moranesis! (sorry, I just feel better knowing someone who can grow other pings has trouble too and it's not just me)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BjørnNorman @ Dec. 20 2003,15:26)]Mexican Pinguicula don't go into dormancy, they only change their growth patten, some forms/species don't change to winter rosset at all. Mexican Pinguicula don't need high humidity either.
regards Bjørn
OMG OMG! You mean my baby is really dorment and they don't all make artichoke thingies? *crys with happyness* I thought I was killing it because it looked awake but no goo and smaller overall.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ka_riu @ Dec. 13 2003,11:07)].  Plants are are watered from above every other day...water doesn't touch the leaves.
do you water you Pinguicula moranensis every 2nd day? Mexican Pinguicula like it more dryish for a CP. I keep my plants moist but not wet soil mix.

Back