Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pink I think

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P.moranensis var. caudata"Longwood" is really a hybrid between moranensis and ehlersiae, and is very similar, if not the same as the cultivar 'Sethos'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I would have to go with the hybrid with P. esseriana, not that I am any sort of authority on Pinguicula. I just like it because it's a very beautiful little plant. I don't have a flower photo to show, but I do have some other pink pings. Here is one that I embarassed just for this photo:

I think this might be the Longwood clone but I am just not too concerned with their identity. I am not a "serious" ping grower, and once the labels go as they ofttimes do, I don't go crazy trying to get to the ID back like I do with Drosera. This is heresy I know, but I just lack the focus and drive to understand these plants on a scientific level. One track mind I guess.

"Grow More, Share More"

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine looks very different from everybody elses. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img] So does that mean mine is incorrectly ID'ed? Would like to correct it if it is.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh, my P.moranensis var. caudata"Longwood" (same source as noah's and PAK) is an ugly common green. It's because it gets full indirect light. As for Tamlin, maybe it's p. 'Florian'?
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found that the plants can be chameleons, the smallest environmental changes can have a major influence on the vegetative appearance of the plants, yet usually the flowers characteristics are the most stable aspect across environmental variations. Though even flower characteristics are not immutable - I have seen size and color fluctuations with environmental differences, especially with tropical species and hybrids.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess I will wait on the flower, not that the ID is all that important to me. I don't believe that the photos Pinguiculaman posted are the pink thing: to much P. esseriana in those, although I suppose it could be a type of pure P. moranensis. I never got a plant of P. 'Pirouette' or the plants Joseph posted so that seems to elimiate those possibilities. Whatever it is, it sure is a chameleon: no other plant I have looks like this, and it was grown from a leaf of something in my assortment of plants that broke off and was offhandedly put in a pot and forgotten.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *SOB* stop mocking my pathedict pings with your awsomely perfict super cool ones! LOL! Seriously though, Droooool! I want one of those like yours Tamlin, what kind is it, it looks like my P. moranensis when it's happy but pink? How do you grow it and how much for a cutting? LOL!
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]P.moranensis var. caudata"Longwood" is really a hybrid between moranensis and ehlersiae, and is very similar, if not the same as the cultivar 'Sethos'.
    CP2k,

I agree that Noah's plant is a hybrid, but do not believe true P.moranensis var. caudata"Longwood" is one. The plants often distributed at LACPS meetings under that name are known to have mixed heritage, but are usually called the “Longwood” clone for convenience, I guess. I assume that's where Noah's plant came from.

PAK,

I don't know if your plant is the true P.moranensis var. caudata, but sure like the way it looks! Have you compared the flower to the one on Eric's site?

Here are a few pictures of the "LACPS Longwood" clone in bloom. The pot is a 4” round number set quite a ways from the lights. With better light, the plant takes on a wonderful red hue.

[img]http://home.**********.com/forbes/P1300022.1.JPG[/img][img]http://home.**********.com/forbes/P1280024.JPG[/img][img]http://home.**********.com/forbes/P1210022.JPG[/img]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast