Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Feeding with Fish Food

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey PingMan,

How long do you keep them in the 2" community pots? Until they're overlapping and don't fit? :P
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct. Lazy me, I leave them there until they are totally overcrowded and a tangled mess of overlapping leaves. But it sure helps keep down the competing moss and really looks nice.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like it would do well to keep the humidity locked in under the leaves as well, i'm sure they enjoy that.

Is this still the method of tossing them into a bag and forgetting about them, or are you now propagating in pots?

Hehe, lazy you, it would only seem lazy if you couldn't propagate just about anything you tried to, and hey, if it comes that easy to you...go with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I still start most of the Pinguicula in small ziploc snack bags with a little, moist, LFS and I clothespin them to the edges of my light fixtures. I check them every few weeks to make sure they don't dry out completely. They are usually full of little plants in just a few weeks. It is a way I use to propagate and store spare plants. I do this with Drosera root cuttings and Dionaea leaf cuttings too.

Here is a photo of some Pinguicula gigantea getting ready for some serious crowding:

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that another 2" pot or slightly larger btw?

Interesting. I've been thinking about doing VFT cuttings like that actually. It seems to me that your "lazy" way of doing it, opening a bag, dropping in some damp lfs, a handfull of leaves, and leave 'em under the lights and forget...is actually one of the best propagating methods for these plants. Have you noticed (I would think definately with the pings), that if you give the leaf a chance to heal (ie. toss it in a bag with lfs and leave it loose rather than just pinning it to the substrate of a common pot) that you get a higher strike rate?

I have noticed that I tend to have a higher chance of a vft leaf striking if someone mail's it to me wrapped in damp paper towel in a plastic bag, then if I use a fresh cutting.

Is this the method you are currently using to propogate D. falconeri as well?

I'm really looking forward to your response.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting , hope to see more results with this experiment .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, it definitely does look very nice. A little jungle of Pinguicula. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tray is approximately 3 inches x 4 inches.

Yes, I start all of my tropical Pinguicula cuttings this way (in the little ziploc bags) not in trays. I have never really propagated them any other way, so I couldn't comment on a comparison in technique. As far as the success (strike) rate, all I can say is that it seems quite reasonable. I average about one plantlet per leaf, no matter what size leaf.

Here are a couple more community tray shots:

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast