What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Miniature Pinguicula species

P.gracilis flowering:
Michael's%20CP%20018.jpg

P.debbertiana rosettes:
Michael's%20CP%20021.jpg

P.ehlersiae var. alba rosettes with flower buds:
Michael's%20CP%20023.jpg

P.cyclosecta-1714
Michael's%20CP%20024.jpg

P.esseriana "giant, pink flower":
Michael's%20CP%20031.jpg

Very nice clean looking plants you have there! MAn do you have a green thumb or WHAT? It sure is nice to see your photo's at last, thanks for sharing!

Very nice pictures

But really Miniature ?

Here is a miniature...
P_sp_Tonala_08(LR).jpg

P_sp_Tonala_Ed18(LR).jpg

I guess I should have said "miniature compared to moranensis."
wink.gif

Michael's%20CP%20074.jpg

Michael's%20CP%20076.jpg

awesome!!!

my ping esseriana giant pink flower flowered for me a few weeks ago, its sent up 5 flowers , and my ping sethos flowered 3 days ago
biggrin.gif
must be flowering season

Wow guys! Beuatiful pics! What species is that epbb its so small! I would love one of them!

Eric,

That is an amazing photo! Is this one of Fernando's new discoveries?

Thanks Forbes for the link.

Only few seeds were (or may have been) collected as the seeds were fine dust easily .

As the flowers are so tiny, I really think that this species is self-pollinated and may be easy to grow (as annual) only if the seeds were really collected.

I think also that Ed. Read brought back also few seeds for in-vitro but it may be hard to sterilize so fine seeds !

More later.

By the way, did you note that Fernando found Pinguicula involuta in Perou ?

See the link here :
Pinguicula involuta

Hello Friends,
Great pictures CP2K.
Yes, the Ping from the Tonala area is truly a small sp. !
When I saw it I couldn't believe my eyes. I dropped to my knees and laughed histerically as I ruled out all the possibilities (images of the species description publications were racing through my head). I knew from the first second this was something new and not being able to restrain myself I could only laugh. Fernando raced back to see what I had found and bent over to take a look. He then grabbed my shoulder as if to support himself from the shock! "ED" he yelled, "NEW SPECIES, NEW SPECIES!" I was still laughing and could only get out a simple "I know."
What a thrill!
Ed Read

Wow...how exciting! What amazing things you both get to see! How lucky you are.
smile.gif

All great photos and always informative as well as beautiful. CP2K...Love those little debbertianas.

Thanks for sharing everybody.

Suzanne

Hi everyone,

It was a really spectacular moment, when Ed and I found this new species at Tonala, especially because it was the 1st site we stopped at on a 3-day trip through Oaxaca. Imagine that, the 1st Ping we saw on the trip was a new species, what a great start!

It is not only a real treat and a rarity to discover a new species, but best of all, it was one of those extremely rare cases when the new species is immediately recognized as such in the field. Most times it mroe like... "Well yes, the leaves are a bit longer than such-and-such species, and the flower color is a bit different,but they are both very similar." Sometimes such a plant will sit around for years before someone finally decides that it is a good species and publishes it.

So it was a very exciting moment!! We didn't care if it was a minute new species, maybe the smallest of all Ping species.

Take Care,
Fernando

now that is a smaaaaaaal ping! i just noticed that picture... you wouldn't happen to have a picture of just the plant would ya
wink.gif

Back