What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P.laueana

Cindy

Staff member
My P. agnata, P. cyclosecta and P. ehlersiae are all doing well in a diatom:peat mix.

Somehow, the P. laueana is not growing very much and seems a little weak.

What do you guys/gals use as the medium for this plant? And are the growing conditions similar to your other mexican pings?

Thanks.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Cindy,

I have been growing Pinguicula laueana for several years now. I have yet to get it to grow as vigorously as other Pinguicula or even to bloom.
sad.gif

I have tried various media and cultivation regimen. My next attempt will be with giving them natural light and seasonal change of same.</span>

I grow Pinguicula laueana like all the other Mexican. Here is a page on this species.

Just keep in mind that I live in France so the conditions must change.

Pinguicula laueana

You can also see here some Pinguicula laueana in habitat to give you idea of the conditions you can copy

Postcard 5

I grow mine pretty successfully in pure lfs. It has not flowered yet, but seems happy, and I expect it to this year. My temps are between 60 and 80 degrees and 50+% humidity.

Capslock

mine grow well in a "peat"/perlite/vermiculite mix. they are just all starting to flower now in my cool greenhouse (45 F minimum)

Thanks, everyone. How do you water the ping? Overhead?

no, they stand in a water tray, a few cm in summer, almost empty in winter

Thanks, everyone. It seems that it won't mind a wetter medium. Capslock's pure lfs and gardenofeden's tray method...

Pings in Singapore's weather often die due to root rot so I was extra careful with the watering but now maybe it's time to water the laueana more often than the rest.
smile.gif

I do not grow this plant, but my Ping had similar issues. It looks like it's got something to do with soil or water levels, but as it turned out with mine, it was light. I would suggest putting it in full natrual light outside, or under some serious wattage indoors
smile.gif

My Pinguicula laueana is growing very well in peat/sand/perlite, but I am finding that my kondoi and jaumavensis do not care for the mix much. I am going to add a lot of LFS to those.

You know, looking back at this thred, and the natural habbitat post cards, it occurs to me that this species may not be a fan of calcium in it's mix. Just look at the all the data, that's a fairly stronge pattern for anti-calcium media. Have you tried growing it without hard soils Pingman?

Like Eric, I grow my P. laueana (6 distinct clones originating from wild-collected seed (A. Lau) and many crosses between them) in the same mix as the majority of my mexican species; very free-draining, hardly any peat and basic (my mix contains crushed tufa limestone, lime and vermiculite).

I find this species as easy to grow and almost as vigourous as P. moranensis under my conditions; natural light and a cool dry winter. All clones, that I have mature plants for, flower freely in winter (code names follow those of Stan Lampard (UK) who grew these clones from seed);

P. laueana 'Sierra Mixe Highlands' - Type

SM1.jpg

P. laueana 'SP1'

SP1b.jpg

P. laueana 'CP2'

CP2.jpg

P. laueana 'CP3'

CP3.jpg

Vic

Fantastic photos Vic. Would you suggest the same mix for the kondoi?

I find P. kondoi grows and propagates easily for me in the same mix. However, I've yet to get this species to flower for me, a pity because the flowers are amazing.

Vic

Hi Friends,

Very nice pictures I will add in the website Vic !

I am very sorry to write that Fernando just wrote me that in fact we all grow P. reticulata (even those under the name P. kondoi) and that P. kondoi is not in culture. (more in the postcard 11 soon - )

This species has never been collected since the description and can be different...and Fernando didn't find it (yet)

I received mine labelled as P. reticulata and changed the name on the labels to P. kondoi !!! Time to change them back again!  
biggrin.gif

The pictures are not new ones Eric, I think you have them on the site, I was just posting a range of clones together.

Vic

I will change my label. Thank you and Fernando for the info.

The CP3 was not yet in the website !

It is incredible to find P. laueana also as a variated species. Maybe one day Fernando will spots them (it is one of his secret dream).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I am very sorry to write that Fernando just wrote me that in fact we all grow P. reticulata (even those under the name P. kondoi) and that P. kondoi is not in culture. (more in the postcard 11 soon - )

This species has never been collected since the description and can be different...and Fernando didn't find it (yet)

Wow! If correct, this is important information. There are bunches of web sites containing photos that are identified as P. kondoi and many more growlists that contain this plant. I see mass confusion, if (when) the true kondoi is actually introduced into cultivation.

Back