What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unripe viable seed

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>I have been working at learning to grow Pinguicula planifolia. I am beginning to have some success. Yeah!

I recently managed to get viable seed from selfing a solitary flower on a plant of this species that I just added to my collection.

Curious though, when the seed pod split open to indicate the seed was "ripe", I noticed that most of the seed were still green, (not just to indicate they were unripe, but they were actually a light shade of green) though a few were almost brown. Not wanting to lose any chance I might have at growing this species from seed I sowed them all on the black sand surface of a pot I had previously prepared for this purpose. I kept checking on them frequently with a 10X loupe. What I saw was that first, all of the "green" seed slowly turned brown, then they began to germinate. Presently, about a month later, I have quite a few small Pinguicula planifolia seedlings whose leaves which were initially green are developing a nice pink/red tint and seem to be growing well.
biggrin.gif
</span>

It never ceases to amaze me of your creative skill and subsequent successes! Great job!

Congrats! Are you goin` to post a pic of those babys?

Pingman, It is amazing that the pods will split open and drop seed that has not ripened yet, and they complete the job outside the flower. I have thought on more than one occasion that I blew it when planting ping seed, only to find that they don't follow the same rules that may apply to other CP seed. I wouldn't dare try that with my sarracenia. It would not work.

pond boy,
No pic yet. I will get one as soon as I can get a good one.

Ok,*waiting in anticipation of pingmans pics*.

That is cool, sort of makes sence, if they like to germinate quickly, why dehydrate and cover them with a hard seed coat at all... in fact, letting some ripen and others not seems a logical way to put some in the seed bank and cash the others right away.
smile.gif
I've seen other plants do this too.

Back