What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P agnata  moranensis

I aquired a P agnata  moranensis in a trade about four months ago and it is now has one flower that has been open for about five days.  My question is; is it self seeding?
I am growing it in 50/50 peat and silica sand and have it in a water tray.  Is this a healthy set up for it.  Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.
Here are some pics.

The flower;
5_G.jpg

The flower - rear view;
1_G.sized.jpg

The hungry little plant;
P3100041.sized.jpg

It looks more like the common P. 'weser' than P. moranensis or P. agnata. What is P. agnata moranensis according to your trade ??

You`ll have to polinate it to get seed to my knowledge they don`t self seed,although you can self polinate it.

Hi Lauderdale,

The plant is a hybrid between moranensis and ehlersiae, possibly 'Sethos'. 'Weser' has the solitary white stripe down the throat, so the plant is probably not this cultivar.
I am guessing you received the plant from M.H.

I am way behind the curve on identifying plants and simply assumed the guy that sent it to me knew what it is.  If someone can give me the correct identy, I would appreciate it.
I just noticed that a second flower is starting.  Can I pollinate from two flowers on the same plant?
rock.gif

Since two very knowledgable people have ID'd this as P. Sethos, my grow list will be change accordingly.  Thanks guys.
All I got to do is figure out how to pollinate it.
smile.gif

CP2k, I cannot for the life of me remember (so much for my record keeping abilities) who I got it from.  All I know is he was a college student from Miami.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>The usual pollination technique for Pinguicula Earlier thread with pollination information will work.

However, it took me about a dozen attempts before I finally obtained viable seed. Perhaps it was a genetic accident that I was successful. Many times nothing happened, a few times seed formed but did not germinate. Finally, a seed pod formed and all of the seed germinated --- several dozens have grown to maturity and are blooming now. Soon, I plan to post photos of those presently in bloom. They seem to be a good illustration of F2 hybrid segregation.</span>

What the conditions and potting mix are you using for the Sethos seeds. I have no problem getting seeds off my plants but I had no success in germination of the seeds.

Thanks for the pollination technique tips Joseph.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Khoas,

I used 100% granulated Sphagnum peat moss, which had been thorougly rinsed with pure water. After sowing the seed on the surface of the moist moss, I give them a light spray with pure water and then seal them, pot and all, into a zip-loc bag and place under fluorescent lights. I keep a close watch on them and as soon as I observe germination I open the top of the bag. Seems the extra humidity of the bag makes them especially prone to damping-off.</span>

PinguiculaMan,
Thanks, Mate.

Back