What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pings, growth and their conditions...

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
How much does conditions given really affect the way a ping looks?   Below I have a picture with two P. 'Sethos'.   My plant divided (as they always do) so I planted two of them in 1 X 1 X 1.25 inch pots.   Same media, at the exact time.   One I put out in the green house, one I left in the inside growing area.   Now, the red one flowered first, and divided...  the green one is flowering and dividing now.  But, other than that, can you tell which is grown outside in the green house and which is grown inside?
psethosinandout.jpg

Andrew

What little I know about the hobby tells me that the red one got the natural sunlight and developed faster than the green one. Beautiful flowers. I hope my leaf cuttings grow up to look like that!

Here's a rider to your query: I have two adult P. primuliflora. One starts flowering white and ends up iris colored. The other starts out iris and ends up iris. They are both primuifloras, to my knowledge. both have produced plantlets. Why is the difference in flower color development?

Red one-under lights. Green one-in greenhouse.

CP2k... Good work! Can you help me understand why? ...it seams a "common known fact" red means enough light, or does it?
Thanks,
Andrew

Interesting how the one with more light got BIGGER and got more color... Usually the plant gets very colorful, but very very small!
rock.gif

Not exactly sure myself. In my opinion, other factors play an important role in helping these plants color up. I guess if the plant is receiving full sun for the entire day, the plant will turn red.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Don't get confused, the plant on the left with large red leaves was the one grown under fluorescent lights. The plant on the right was grown under natural light in a greenhouse.

Red pigment in leaves usually happens as a defensive response to high UV light levels. Part of the reason fluorescent lights function is because they produce lots of UV light which, in turn, stimulate the production of other frequencies of light -- depending on the phosphors (white coating on inside surface of glass of fluorescent lamp) used.

BTW, isn't Pinguicula 'Sethos' a marvelous plant?</span>

Joseph, What exactly is the key thing that makes you distinguish Weser form 'sethos'?

Spec, it seams the main determining factor is the flower. On the 'Sethos' the white smear on the flower is kinda large and star like. On those to be 'Weser' the white is a solitare streak comming from the center of the flower down the bottom lobe.

Joseph, it sure is!! There are few pings in my collection that can compete with its beauty.
Andrew

Back