Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can i grow mex. pings year round in wet conditions

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i want to grow some mexican pings yeah round with wet soil, but will they be OK with that? i dont want them to turn into succulents, as that wouldn't me very attractive or fun for me. besides, i could care less about flowers.

are there any LARGE mex pings that i can grow like this? i'm particularly interested in P. gigantea and P. moranensis, and P. agnata.

temps are your typical lowland temps, 14 hour photoperiod, 12 hours in winter. 440 watts of VHO 12 inches away (its a 75 gallon terrarium), but i'm going to cover the glass with mylar soon so that should increase the light they recieve.

if i absolutely MUST let them become succulent, i guess i can but i'd rather enjoy them year-round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its good to let mexi pings to go dormant b cus...
    u can makes LOTS more from cutting that way [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    just rip off pieces of its hibernacula (u can take of a little less than half without hourting tha mother plant) and put them in vermiculite, and plantlets will appear soon [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    also, tha flowers are amazing for pings, a perk for an already cool plant.
    Hope this helps,
    Hellz
    Nike SB is Bananas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are moranensis and agnata clones that do not require a dormancy and most gigantea are the same. P. zecheri and emarginata are a couple others that grow wet year round. I would avoid any of the species that do form winter rosettes because even if you grow them wet year round they will still go dormant (ask PingMan) and it sounds like you want something that is always in carnivorous phase.

I disagree with Hellz about a couple issues too. Leaf cuttings can be taken from Mexi-Pings pretty much any time so propogation shouldn't be an issue and if you go with species that normally stay carnivorous year round they you don't need to worry about dormancy to induce flowering as they will just do it on their own.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Can I grow mex. pings year round in wet conditions?"

Only you can answer your question. Can you? I do!

I have always keep, all of my Pinguicula, Mexican species and hybrids included in trays of water --- year-round. As for DORMANCY, very few Mexican Pinguicula actually have a true DORMANCY. Most of them just have what is called a heterophyllous growth pattern. They change the type of leaves they make depending on the season.

One piece of information I believe is critical to success with keeping them moist/wet is to ensure they have a 15-17 hour photoperiod and strong light. I use many 4 foot fluorescent lights and place them withing 2-4 inches of the plants and use timers to give the plants a 15 hour photoperiod.

Despite this treatment, some of the Mexican plants change their leaf form in an apparent random manner (large groups of the same clone will not all change leaf form at the same time).
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    REALLY? that's FANTASTIC!!! my photoperiod is already 14 hours, i can increase it to 15.

that is absolutely FANTASTIC! seriously, i am SO happy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget -- "15-17 hours of strong light"

I sometimes let the trays go dry between waterings, but never the pots.

I can't promise you it will be without any problems, every so often I lose a plant or two, usually only small ones being propagated. I also continually propagate all of my plants, to guard against any possible losses, and because I love to propagate.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how strong is strong? i run 4 no flours. oin a vho ballast, so they run at 3x the power/intensity but dont last nearly as long.

i guess having them go "dormant" wont be SO bad, if it means i'm less likely to lose them. how do i know when it's time for them to go "dormant"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you have even higher light intensity than I do.

Remember, most Mexican Pinguicula do not go DORMANT, they just produce different size and shaped leaves. Different leaves does not = DORMANT. No leaves = DORMANT.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast