Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hybridizing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ July 25 2004,4:48)]I too use toothpicks, though to make the contrast even more helpful I use a black Sharpie (permanent marker) to color about 1cm (1/4 inch) of the tip of the toothpick. They are cheap and disposable to avoid unwanted parent pollen getting involved unexpectedly.
    Joseph, this idea of coloring the toothpicks (my method also for pollinate Pinguicula) in black is really great.

Can you imagine that for 15 years I was trying to see closer my toothpicks to see if I had some grains of pollen on !

Sometimes things are so evident that you don't think of it.

Thanks a lot
    Eric Partrat
    epbb@club-internet.fr

A WORLD OF PINGUICULA
    www.pinguicula.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eric,

You are most welcome.

I find that having the toothpick tip colored black makes it very easy to determine if I have captured any pollen from the donor flower. It also makes it easier to determine if I have successfully transferred any to the receiving flower (pollen will be visibly missing if transfer was successful).
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone tried storing pollen of Mexican pings? Some of my plants only seem to flower during certain periods of time in the year, making certain crosses difficult.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea how long Ping pollen keeps for, but I am always pleased when a winter-flowering species decides to flower at the 'wrong' time of the year. several of my P. laueana clones have occasionally flowered in mid-summer, enabling me to make some nice hybrids, I'm particularly pleased with my P. laueana x P. gypsicola crosses and can't wait for them to flower.

I now use a more drastic method than most, when hybridizing Pings. This method was shown to me by the UK's leading hybridizer, Stan Lampard and prevents the likelihood of a plant being naturally pollinated, and thus ensures the cross is true. I've performed a few crosses in the past, where the offspring do not in anyway resemble the pollen donor! It also exposes the stamens, enabling you to see exactly what you are doing.

Gently holding the top and bottom lobes, pull the bottom three lobes off the flower, they come away in one piece. Here is a P. gypsicola flower that I've done this too.

Here is a view, showing the exposed interior of the flower.

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Vic,

Thanks for the tip. Have you ever seen any of the natural pollinators? I've always wanted to make a hybrid that produces the red flowers like laueana. Come to think of it, I've never seen a ping hybrid with red flowers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I've seen bumble bees (Bombus spp.) visiting my Ping flowers. They have fairly long 'tongues', so I imagine they are perfectly capable of pollination Pings.

I grow quite a few hybrids with P. laueana as a parent and none of them has red flowers, they are all pink or purple. I do have a hybrid between P. laueana and P. sp. 'Zaragoza' (due to be published as a new species, P. nivalis, I believe) which was bred by Stan Lampard, which has a purple flower with a nice red spot on the lower lobe and that's as close as I've seen to a red one.

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12