Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hybridizing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

The Miejer Gardens has a large number of pings in flower right now so I am setting about the task of cross pollinating them to create new hybrids of plants. I know how to cut off the petals and pull of the anthers and get pollin from one plant to another, but getting a good yeild of seed and actually collecting it is another question all together.

Pingman mentioned in an earlier thred that they set seed well if you "Fertilize the flower" Um, may I ask what that means? Is it just feeding the plant while it is in bloom?

And of course, part two is, how do I go about collecting the seed? Thanks so very much
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By fertilize PingMan was refering to the act of pollination. You know, as in sperm fertilizing the egg.

I find the best way to pollinate is to use a toothpick, the coloured ones make it a little easier because you can get a dark colour to see the pale pollen. Swipe the toothpick in the plant you want pollen from and then counterswipe the plant you want to fertilize. If you are planning on doing a reciprical cross I recommend collecting the pollen off both flowers first to reduce the likelyhood of accidental selfing.

To collect seed just wait till the pod is ripe and pop it over a piece of wax paper to catch the seed. You can tell when a pod is ripe by giving it a gentle (and I mean very gentle) squeeze. When you do it will begin to split along its seam. This method has always worked for me though you will have to ask Phill Mann or MadAboutCP how the seed are doing because I sent all that I got this year down to them.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, though pollinating a flower does not always fertilize it.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite true Joseph, quite true.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darcie, I'll go over this with you when you're at the Gardens next time. I typically use a small bamboo sliver. I can show you exactly how to do it...

Steve
    Steve L
    "I'm Lucky enough to get paid to do this!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh, duh o_O I'm like thinking feeding the plant, lol. Open mouth insert foot.

Thanks Steve, I will look forward to seeing how the pros do it [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too use toothpicks, though to make the contrast even more helpful I use a black Sharpie (permanent marker) to color about 1cm (1/4 inch) of the tip of the toothpick. They are cheap and disposable to avoid unwanted parent pollen getting involved unexpectedly.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Pinguicula Kama Sutra, HAHAHA!

Hey Darcie, I'd be careful with these lonesome guys offering to show you their fertilization tricks in person, hehehe!

Well, maybe there's nothing to fear. I mean, in order to show you their "pollen transfer techniques" one guy has a not-so-threatening sounding "colorful toothpick" and another has a flimsy "bamboo sliver". I'd say you're safe girl!!

Take Care,
    Fernando

(Man, I think I've been on vacation for too long, hehehe!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast