What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P.gypsicola

Hi everyone,

I have had trouble growing these plants in peat, but they grow well on an inorganic mix. The plants pictured receive morning sun and bright light in the afternoon.These recently came out of dormancy and are flowering.
P.gypsicola.jpg

P.gypsicola%20closeup.jpg

P.gypsicola%20flower.jpg

Very nice. I keep trying with this species, lots of growth, but no flowers. Perhaps I need to give them some red light?

IMO, this species needs dormancy to "convince" it to flower.

Hi,

my plants grow quite well in a peat sand mix. Maybe this is due to the very hard tap water I'm using for P. gypsicola. During summer with lots of natural light (east facing window) flowers are produced regularly.

P_gypsicola_290704.jpg

Cheers Joachim

Very healthy plants.

P. gypsicola need a very little watering and nothing in winter to avoid rootness.

Beautiful plants Michael. Do they ever produce seed for you?

those plants are SO "dewey"!! i wish my pings would be that sticky!

Hi Sean,

I grow P.gypsicola from three different sources, but only one clone has flowered so far. I am waiting for the other clones to flower, but this might not happen until next year.

Is Pinguicula gypsicola self-fertile?

Hi Joseph,

I tried selfing a couple of the flowers a year ago and none produced seeds. I believe it is self fertile.

Back