What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula grandiflora

My Pinguicula grandiflora has suddenly stoped making carnivoorus leaves. I could see a smal hole in the centre of the rossete. When I moved the leaves to take a closer look, I can see either a hibernacula, or a flower bud.
I am 75% sure that it is a hibernacula. Whats going on?
It has been on my windowsill since March/April, it has had a warm spring and summer, but it didnt flower. Why is it producing a hibernacula so early? It could be a flower bud, but I dont think it is. Its not winter, its the end of July!
confused.gif

A small seedling next to it isnt producing hibernacula, its producing carnivorous leaves. They are in the same pot, and have been in same growing conditions.
Help please?
confused.gif

Dino

My plants do the same. From time to time they revert to hibernacula out of season. Actually, the daylength is dropping off, and some species are already dormant. My D. anglica have made hibernacula, and D. rotundifolia won't go much longer, as they have all flowered. Keep the hibernacula as cold as possible, I have found them unwilling to grow unless they have had a chill.

When plants suffer from too hot temperatures, they produce and an early hibernaculum.

There is only one problem : if your hibernaculum wake up in automn (when temperature are cooler) : the plant will grow again and will not have enough time to produce a new hibernaculum before winter and froze.

So try to keep your plant as cold as possible as stated by Tamlin or you can leave it where it is with a very little amount of water (to prevent rotness) as long as the temperature are hot : the plant will think it is winter. Then few time before the fall of temperatures, you can put it in a cold zone until next growing season or leave your plant growing again but prevent it absolutely from froze until the next hibernaculum is produced. I have a population that have each year two growing season with two gemmae season and two flowering periods.
There is no surprise that this is my most abundant species at home !

Um, shall I just leave it outside? I live in south-west England(Europe England)

Back