What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula esseriana

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
Here are some recent photographs of two of my Pinguicula esseriana. Original plant obtained from Joe Griffin.

Pot: White plastic, 3 inch (7.5 cm) square x 4 inch (10 cm) tall

Media: 100% granular peat moss with a vertical layer of pumice through the center of the pot.

Water: Year-round, 1/2 - 1 inch (1.2 - 2.5 cm) in plastic tray.

Light: Year-round, 15 hours/day of "cool white" fluorescent lamps.

p_esseriana_lg_AA1_web.jpg

p_esseriana_lg_side_view_AA1.jpg

<span style='color:blue'>What do yours look like and how do you grow them?</span>

That is unusual, it is only 85KB.
smile_h_32.gif

Perhaps you tried to load it at the moment I was editing the photo and reposting it.

Please try again Starman.

That's is by far the nicest P. esseriana i've ever seen. I love the way the color gets lighter towards the center.

Awsome plant.

All your plants look like painting, not only the cyclosecta. Painting by mother nature eh...

Thanks for sharing your pic, it as well as all your other pictures are excellent. I prefer an all green esseriana but the red on the leaves of your plants is beautiful. The flower is quite beautiful too. My biggest esseriana is finally making a flower. How many and how many times a year do your plants produce flowers?

Pingman, how did you plant the pings? I can understand the pumice in the centre i.e. a vertical column, but how do the plants grow? Their roots in the pumice or peat?

that is JUST beautiful!
my ping x Long name isn't doing so well... i dont know why

how close are they to the lights?

About 2-3 inches.

My ping all of a sudden got two brownish stripes on its leaves and died, right before producing a strange, mutated leaf which looks like a normal 'tree' leaf. Might it be that I changed its environment too quickly (from high humidity to not much compared - darn how could I forget)...thankfully it is now producing normal, but smaller leaves. What's your humidity pingman?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My ping all of a sudden got two brownish stripes on its leaves and died
I am puzzled, your ping goes from being "dead" to continued growth?

My humidity varies quite a lot, from around 20% -60%, mostly stays near 45%. Some of them have cool air with nearly 0% R.H. blowing on them from the air-conditioner. This is ameliorated by moving air from another fan from across the room breaking up the flow of air-conditioned air.

My experience with Pinguicula leads me to believe that most problems people have with them is that they don't provide enough light. Lots of good light, without excessive heat, can turn a sickly plant into a thriving plant. And it only takes a few days without good light to knock a thriving plant down into a pile of rotten mush.

The appearance (phenotype) of many of my Pinguicula varies greatly, with my assumption that most of the variation is due to duration, intensity, and spectrum of the light they receive.

Here's mine. What's interesting to me is that I've grown this for a year now, and it's been green without even a hint of red for the whole time. However, it's been under a 400 watt MH light, and I just a couple weeks ago moved it under fluorescents, and it's already got a nice pink hue. It's grown in intermediate/highland temps indoors in peat/sand 1:1. Obviously, it's been there a while, and the U. bisquamata and the ubiquitous moss have largely taken over. Looks great, though!

P_esseriana.sized.jpg

Capslock

Yes, looking very nice.

Metal halide is great for growth, but not so nice for coloration. There is something about the spectrum in flourescents that just can't be beat, especially with Pinguicula, but the question is, is the color typical for plants found in habitat? I've found outdor grown specimens have far less color vs the ones grown indoors, so the color is obviously a result of a specific type of wavelength found in the light tubes. Some growers prefer a more typical look, but I really like the peachy pastels, the blues, bronzes, purples and reds to be found in the leaves under flourescent lighting. Keeping the plants close, close, close to the bulbs really does the trick. Some of my plants look like they are painted.

Holy cow Capslock! I don't know what it is, but I just loooove the nice juicy 'succulence' of ping leaves. Yummy...makes me feel like I want to eat them, especially when I'm thirsty...
biggrin.gif

Very beautiful Capslock!
smile.gif

Back