Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm about to give up entirely

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a primuliflora last August. I was essentially a newbie at the time. It has thrived by sitting on a window sill, either an east facing / morning sun location or south facing / blocked by trees. I have it in typical "open tray". It has produced many plantlets and flowers. I have also experienced shriveled up primuliflora - a different plant - and that was because of a significant change in its environment (temperature & humidity related). I have also experienced shriveled up sethos cuttings when I put them outside. They were doing just fine on a window sill. I believe the common denominator for my failure is too much of a change in environment in too short of a timeframe. Also, they have done just fine when kept indoors on window sills.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never counted the number of time that I was nearly to stop Pinguicula after a new disaster or the lost of a species.

Come on, never give up just read and try to understand the reason of this failure and try and try and try...
    Eric Partrat
    epbb@club-internet.fr

A WORLD OF PINGUICULA
    www.pinguicula.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I said something similar my last time around with primuliflora. Jimscott seems to have hit it right on the head when he said it was too much change too quickly. Mine are now thriving in a loosely covered fish bowl on a north facing windowsill. You may want to try using 100% LFS about 3" deep. Make sure you wet it thoroughly before transplanting. This helps keep moisture near the plant. Every time I noticed leaf rot beginning I clipped off the affected portion immediately. The rot seems to spread when left unchecked but trimming prevented it from progressing on the leaf. Don't give up the ship just yet.....there's plenty of primuliflora "exorcists" to get you through.
    Professor Carrington..\"We owe it to science to stand here and
    die rather than destroy a source of
    wisdom\".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm. All mine live outdoors in full sun. I have P. carulea, macroceras, primuliflora, ionantha, planifolia, grandiflora, and lutea. All are doing well outdoors in full sun, but have a constantly moving water base that seems to help them thrive. Really wet conditions with running water seem to be something they love, so I stick to that, and have no problems with the plants.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is on the windowsill. It has already flowered twice. I bought from A local garden center. I never do anything to keep the humidity high.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some butterworts will do good on the windowsill, like JimScotts. Others will require much more water and humidity. Whatever their situation before you got them, you may never know. Jim Miller, who sees these regularly on his video outings, says the biggest and the best grow semi-acquatic, and reach sizes of 8" to 10" across. I have seen his video's, and there is no doubt about that. I am growing them semi-acquatically at first, then slowly let the water level drop so they can acclimate. The water levels on mine are always just under the leaf rosette when I am done acclimating, and they go crazy. The primuliflora that is the crux of this thread is 6" across under these conditions, and is very nice looking, as far as pings go. It is so happy in these conditions, that it has stopped the production of plantlets, to decrease its own competition for space. Pings can be funny critters.

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are you buying primuliflora? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] It may be popular, but its not that easy.
    Moranensis is much easier in my opinion.
    Dubi [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cuz It's there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast