Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm about to give up entirely

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried time and time again to keep Ping's but everytime I am met with failure. My first bings I got around December of last year. They were P. Moranensis. Those were actually pretty hardy and survived for about 3 months and managed to even flower. However in a weeks time they seemingly disappeared into goo. Since then I have owned about 4-5 P. Primuliflora as those are pretty cheep and they are always being sold at Lowe's, Meijer etc. However I can't even keep those alive for a week! The first Primuliflora I got I tried to acclimate to a lower humidity. I swear the dang thing wilted in like 10 minutes. Then comes the next two which I decided to try and acclimate to a lower humidity by leaving the cover off for about 10 or so minutes only this time I filled a big bowl up with water and placed them in it in a hope the bowl would give them a little extra humidty. However those forwhatever reason died in about a week. I recently order some plants off the internet however there was a $25 minumum order so I said aw what the heck and bought another primuliflora. However I said aha! I will leave this in it's cover and place it in a shady spot in my yard... it of course turns brown in a week. So this is the last plant I will attempt to master. Yesterday I went out and bought another ping and currently have the cover on. How do I keep this thing alive, and acclimate it to living out doors? Humidity shouldn't be a problem as the humidity where I live is generally between 50%-60% + I live in a very humid part of Ohio but they wilt in a couple minutes if I take the cover off to try and acclimate them. If I leave the cover on the leaves turn brown and rot. If I take it off they wilt. It seems as if even if I leave the cover off fora minute or two and put it back on they seem to wilt and die in a day or two. If this plant dies I think I am just going to give up till I get a greenhouse or at least start from seed from now on...

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what are your growing conditions? primuliflora are really sensitive to humidity, i've tried and tried and tried and can only grow mine inside a terrarium. it just wont live outside for me even with aclimation. i dont have any problems with other pings, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I've said the only 2 pings I have tried are 1 P. Moranensis which survived for a month or two and the rest are Primuliflora. The growing conditions? Most Primuliflora I've kept have the same soil that was in there pot (as they seem to die before I get to transplant them) So soil wise I am not really sure. As for light I have tried everything from heavily filtered to full sun and all the combinations in between which so far results in death. Humiditywise with the exception of 1 or 2 pings they have all had the plastic cover on or they wilt within 10 minutes of the cover being taken off which is generally fatal as even if I put the cover back on they are "dead by dawn" (nickle to whoever can guess where that quote is from". Essentially this is the plant of SATAN. I don't know what else to say though

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe they are overheating for you? maybe your using the wrong water or something. i'm gonna assume that you know the basics so i wont list the all the stuff that someone can do wrong lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I`ve not had luck with primuliflora either.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Aug. 28 2004,12:36)]maybe they are overheating for you? maybe your using the wrong water or something. i'm gonna assume that you know the basics so i wont list the all the stuff that someone can do wrong lol.
    I originally though some were over heated, the outside ones, but even the ones kept in my house (with central air) died relatively quickly.AS for water I use distilled/rain water. Basically I figure Primuliflora has evolutionarily adapted a niche where it's sole purpose is to be a pain in the but for me so I have to keep buying more which equates to more primuliflora being produced. What tricky plants... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

I recently had a primuliflora that dried up shortly after I got it. It seemed to be doing fine for a week then one by one the leaves started to go brown. I was not concerned cause I figured the plant would make plantlets like everyone says it does but all the leaves turned to mush or dried out before any plantlest formed. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] What I would like to know is, is this species really supposed to be kept out of the sun or does it thrive in the sun? I kept mine in my kitchen where it would get only 1 to 2 hours of morning sunlight. Was that too much or too little sun?

ALLOSAURZ
    I think you should get a P. Esseriana. This species thrives with only minimum care and in almost any conditions. It also reproduces like rodents, I started with 2 plants and now have 22. I have them in my livingroom windowsill and water them ever 2-3 days. My biggest one has produced a flower that's lasted about 2 weeks and it still looks as good as when it first oppened. Seriouly try this plant and you will never be disappointed with pings again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This plant grows well for me in the shade(no direct sun, bright light). I would recommend keeping the humidity high.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast