Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ping. gigantea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's funny how often I get mis-quoted when I bring display plants in. I never use perlite or vermiculite - ever - on any pings. I grow my gigantea for the most part in equal parts of peat and chopped long fibre sphagnum with a little sand added in. Not too much though because I don't like the mix too heavey. The peat I use is a special grade sold only to nursery growers. It has a very light and fluffy composition and helps to keep the mix open. I am now finding that I get much better growth by using pure long fibre sphagnum moss. Again - shallow, large surface pans or containers 2-3" deep, and full sun. I let the plants dry out to the point of being just damp before I water again. I never stick with one mix for all plants.

One can find pings growing in combinations of mixes in the greenhouse. I experiment often and then repeat what works best. I did at one time use my nepenthes mix on them with good results, but found they did just as well with less ingredients and careful attention to watering. The key for this species, under my conditions, is to use a somewhat epiphytic mix or to adjust my watering so they are not grown wet. I don't believe the plants are found in really wet conditions. I use large pans and trays because the extra humidity around the leaves helps them spread out and anyone who knows me knows I hate the look of a ping with leaves folding over the edge of a pot.

I have also found that the heavier the mix is the smaller the plant gets. There is also lots of air circulation around the greenhouse at all times as well. If grown in soil too wet or too heavy, I find the plants lift themselves out of the soil and develop aerial roots. I now grow and propagate all my John Rizzi plants in pure sphagnum and am getting the biggest and most succulent growth on them ever. The rosettes or leaf cuttings are placed on top of a 2" layer of sphagnum and allowed to spread. They develop larger root systems and are much easier to transplant.

It's pretty much different for other growers. You try as many different mixes and growing conditions as you can until you hit on the right combo. I've tried mixes reccomended by other growers with disasterous results so now I stick with what works under my conditions. I also try to stick to simplicity. If a plant if found growing in the leaf litter between limestone rock crevices I use a mix that is very fluffy and open but I don't go adding all kinds of limestone and vermiculite and all that other stuff that many other growers use. It just doesn't work for my plants under my conditions. It may for Joe next door, but not for me.

Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But I don't live next door. If I did, I would stop by once in a while.... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phil,

Thanks for clearing up your mix. I thought the BACPS printed stuff seemed different from your current mix, and I attributed that to the age of the article. I probably used a too peat-heavy mix for the P. moranensis var. mexicana. I'll let it dry out between watering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I empathize very much with what Phil said. Living on the Tropic of Capricorn, I could never find other CPers to exchange cultivation info in similar conditions. What most CPers described as "perfect" growing conditions for different species never worked for me. Not to mention that all soil mixes seemed to involve peat, an ingredient that was inexistent around here 10-15 years ago when I was a cultivator. It was all trial and error, I had to find what worked best in my conditions. So good luck to all!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Fernando Rivadavia
    Sao Paulo, Brazil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where would one purchase cocoa peat? Which pings would benefit from a mix containing same?

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ********** sells coir: Growcoir
    It's long cocnut fibers compressed into a brick. Add water and it expands into a course, fibrous material. I have just tried it this year as a peat substitute/extender and have only used it on a few plants. I find, so far, that it makes for a quick draining potting soil that stays moist but doesn't pack down as much as plain peat/perlite does over time.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my p.gigantea shrunk from 12" to 10" in diameter. Very unusual behaviour. Also it is dividing and has two flowers open at the moment. Any ideas on hour to self pollinate them. There are three flowers and I tried it on the very first with a tooth pick but no luck. Can they be self pollinated from the same flower or is flower to flower better?

C

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast