Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice for the mex ping challenged

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    many clones of P. moranensis throw a fit if they don't have full sun-light. You either have to grow them outside, in a glass room or put a grow light on them. Mine almost died, but then I got my light system and now it is slowly growing more leaves and they get a little bigger each time. P. moranensis seem to take lack of water as a cue to go dorment rather then light, if all you do is drop the light they just start dieing, very anoying. As for your rotting plant, I'd reduce the water levels for a start and then look into getting a light system.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darcie- my P. moranensis, auctually all pings, thrive in my terrarium and the light is very low compared to full sun. the plants are pink and pretty big.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the comments. Can Pinguicula Man weigh in? The sethos I have is from him is in pure peat per his recommendation and its the only mex ping I have that is flourishing. So far the seedlings I have are doing OK.

Tamlin, my light is hung from the beams in my basement and I locate my plants around the grow room based on thier lighting requirements. The sun lovers are under the light on the basement floor approx. 5 feet from the light.

Glenn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Sep. 16 2004,8:56)]Darcie- my P. moranensis, auctually all pings, thrive in my terrarium and the light is very low compared to full sun. the plants are pink and pretty big.
    I'm glad you have a P. moranensis that likes wet low-light conditions. I didn't say all, I said some clones. This proticular species is one that many people debate as actually being more then one plant because of the drastic variablity in preferd growing conditions by the plants. My proticular clone is of the coppery rose color varient when in bright light rather then the more durable pinks and greens some people have.

Glenn, is your P.moranensis from Steve? If it is you have our (as in FM Gardens) light hog clone, try moving it to about 1.5 feet from the light, that should turn it around
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Glen,

The mix that plant is in can stay pretty wet. That works well for me, but may need to be tweaked a bit for you. From your description of what is happening to your plants I would do the following:

Take the plants out of the tray, they need to stay consistently moist, but trays may keep them a bit too wet. Increase the humidity around the plant itself. I have taken those clear saucers and turned them upside-down over the plant. If you can keep the media uniformly moist but not soggy and the plants humid, you should see improvement. Also, laueana should start forming winter leaves soon, your plants sisters are starting to.

Hope that helps,

Steve
    Steve L
    "I'm Lucky enough to get paid to do this!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darcie,

I think that 1.5 foot from a 1000 watt bulb would probably fry the plant. 1000 watts generates a lot of light and heat! I wouldn't even place cacti that close!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my plants aren't wet at all [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks agian for all of the advice. I can take the plants out of thier trays. My grow room is very humid since my Neps grow there and they seem to love the humidity. I was worried that the humidity was the cause of my problems.

Based on the feedback so far, I'm planning on trying the following.

Stop using the tray method
    Switch to a more open mix, not sure what just yet
    Add a fan near my Mexi Pings

I'm still worried about the ambient humidity but no one seems to think its a problem, so far.

(Thanks for the nice plant Steve)

Glenn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast