What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to purchase pinguicula villosa and p. vu

I have been told there are exchanges for carnivorous plants however I am far too new to have anything to offer in exchange so I would like to know where to purchase Pinguicula villosa and P. vulgaris.  Preferably from a northern grower.  Thank you.

I`d try dean cooks site(do a websearch it`ll come up).

I placed an order with the Cooks last month. They didn't have P. villosa or P. vulgaris and they were low in stock on a few others. Very nice people though. They offered substitutions for all the plants I had tried to order though which was very nice.

Ok,sorry:( I thought they would have it.

I found Pinguicula planiflora here-
www.carnivorousplantnursery.com

I have placed only 3 orders for carnivorous plants.  All were for myself and all were placed about a month ago before it got really cold around here.  Carnivorous Plant Nurseries out east was one of the 3 nurseries I ordered from as well as Botanique. The man here sent quite a few free plants when I ordered which was incredibly generous.  His plants were huge too and to me they looked incredibly healthy.  I think if I can't locate a source for either the P. villosa or P. vulgaris any where that I will just go and order a few P. planifloras from him for delivery next spring and see what happens.  

One thing I can say about people in the CP business is that they are all very nice and they offer help.  I was told to feel free to call back anytime after I received my orders by all 3 nurseries.  I didn't as I found this web site but the offers were sincere.  Can't recall ever having placed an order for non CP plants where anyone told me to call back anytime after I placed an order and paid.

Both vulgaris and villosa are considered difficult to grow temperate species and require cool temperatures and high humidity during the summer. P.villosa is also very rare. You might want to start with P.grandiflora ssp. grandiflora, which is an easy to grow and easy to find temperate Pinguicula.
P.planifolia is a warm-temperate species. I am not sure how cold tolerant this is, but it grows in Nothern Florida.

Thank you BjørnNorman and CP2k. Another member suggested P.grandiflora so that is what I will go with for now. Again, thank you.

Laura, A lot of people on this Forum have P. grandiflora. Ask, and ye shall receive. Some of the most caring and sharing people I ever met are on this Forum, so go ahead and ask. Anybody ready to cut loose some grandiflora hibernaculum??

Hi Bugweed... I didn't even ask and people have been offering. What an incredible group of people here. I'm in Zone 5 and now isn't the greatest time of year to be sticking anything in the ground but spring will come and I will take a few people up on a few offers for plants for the school. People here have plants that mainstream CP nurseries just don't even seem to offer which is great. The other issue is that I have some critter problems that need to be dealt with or nothing left out there will make it to spring so no sense letting critters destroy precious gifts. I am so shocked and appreciative of the people who offered to send me whole plants. I just can't, in good conscience, accept any offers. I'm thinking it is best to try my hand at starting seed. It would be safe inside the house.

Laura, The way it is around here is that we give freely. We commonly give, trade, or for the price of shipping (SASE) send seed. If I were in your shoes, don't worry about accepting what is offered. It is from the goodness in their hearts and the desire to help out. Find that anywhere else.
I have been growing for decades, and I got my start from the genorousity of early CP people, and money was not an issue. Still isn't. So please, don't make it one. Accept our generousity, and grow girl, grow! P grandiflora hibernacula can take the nasty winters of the north, so get them now. And build a frame out of 1" x 2" wood, and cover the whole thing with bird netting. It works for me, and even the dogs and cats around here cannot get to my plants. (Those pesky starlings have to go somewhere else for lunch!!) I can walk around inside the frame and love my plants, but nothing else can get in ('cept slugs and snails), not even the squirrels and the cats. It works. Its cheap. It saves plant lives!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Oct. 20 2004,9:19)]Laura, The way it is around here is that we give freely. We commonly give, trade, or for the price of shipping (SASE) send seed. If I were in your shoes, don't worry about accepting what is offered. It is from the goodness in their hearts and the desire to help out. Find that anywhere else.
I have been growing for decades, and I got my start from the genorousity of early CP people, and money was not an issue. Still isn't.
Laura, Bugweed is absolutely correct. Most of us are not growing CPs to make money, we are growing them because we like it. We don't sell plants, we give them away. You will never find most of the CPs on the commercial market. Although, there a few strange folks, who are really hobbyists at heart, but are trying to eke out a living growing and selling a wide variety of plants. I think you have already contacted several of these enterprises and found them to be extremely helpful and nice.

I have P. villosa available but I'm wondering if your climate would be a bit to warm for it? I've never seen it warmer than zone 3 personally

I can't get my hands on bird netting. I've got stakes in the ground around the bog that I drove in the ground myself. I am a small person and couldn't wait for my husband to help me this weekend so I am hoping a foot into the ground is enough as I can't get them down any deeper myself.  I have enough chicken wire to go around my small bog with a tad left over to make it around 3 planters I just purchased.  I am going back to Home Depot to get something to attach the chicken wire to the stakes.  As of this morning, I have literally nothing left other than 3 S. flava but one is looking pretty rough, 2 S. minor (a gift from a friend), 2 S. leuco x ?, 3 S. purpurea (one is probably not going to make it), 1 Calopogan, 1 great blue lobelia, 5 blue flag iris (they leave those alone for some reason), a little bit of corkscrew rush, and some sort of carex... possibly a cotton sedge.  That's the sum total of what is left.  Depressing.  Yesterday I had 5 s. minor, a few sundews, at least 10 venus flytraps as well as 3 sprigs of clubmoss, 3 more Calopogans, and Ladies Tresses.  This is what they did when the sun came up today while I was at the school for an hour in the library and I can't even locate the plants to replant them. I've been feeling around in the sphagnum and I can't even feel root segments. I don't even want to discuss what they destroyed prior to the past few days.

Gray squirrels are a native to NA and my birds of prey will not survive without them being available. Yes, squirrel numbers are seriously out of whack this year but that is thanks to some self serving moron up the road from me who is shooting coyotes. The media has really been playing up a handfull of poodle and beagle deaths around here. There is nothing I can do about this other than to call the DNR which I have done. Poisoning any animal is barbaric in my opinion and additionally that ultimately poisons any animal that feeds upon the squirrel. I will not destroy the gray squirrels. There are people out there addressing the squirrels and white tailed deer as there are serious public health issues associated with same.  Best this be handled by people qualified to do so although my husband has been itching to shoot a few most probably to shut me up.  I am going to have to run with a chicken wire enclosure although my husband's offer is very tempting right about now. It is best.  These plants are so darn shallow rooted!  

I recently removed layers of leaf mulch. I am going to switch to pine needle mulch as soon as I can locate some. I understand the reasoning behind why the leaves were not the best choice.  What I need to know right now is should I remove some of the sphagnum/sand mixture and replace it with fresh while it is exposed and before I add pine needles? I ask this question as I have been sprinking both red pepper and chili pepper in and around the plants with wild abandon. I have also used Deer Off and an assortment of every other retail squirrel deterrent known to mankind that was allegedly natural.  

On a side note, this morning I found the cat that ate my favorite chipmunk in my HavAHart trap. That was also one of the cats that I saw taking poops in the middle of my bog. And this was also the cat that was spraying our wood pile and my kid's playhouse to mark his territory.  I have waited months for this day. Animal Control has been called.

If people here would please give me a little bit of time to buy some more sphagnum and get the chicken wire up I will post photos of what I have going on over here and I will take a few plants that hopefully will make it to next spring to get transplanted at a school.  There was another forum that I started at a few days before signing up at this forum and there were two men over there that I want to get back to as I am beginning to think I insulted them when I declined offers and now I feel horrible. Give me a few days ok?  I am going to take some people up on offers but I have got to get that chicken wire up or I will not be able to live with myself.  Sorry, it's my upbringing... I don't even go to a food buffet and take food I can't eat just because it's free and I certainly don't allow my children to do it either.  I am so sorry.  Just give me a few days alright?  

You people are all very kind.  If I hurt any one's feelings, I didn't mean it.  

Bugweed, would you please post a photo of your frame? Thank you, Laura

Let's start here.  This is my little bog.  I spoke too soon as when I got home I was one less blue flag iris (that will teach me for commenting that the squirrels left those alone) and down to one S. minor. The lobelia is also now gone. The third S. purpurea did look much better this afternoon if that counts for anything.   I loaded the perimeter with Liquid Fence and squirted it with another product called Easy Gardener Deer & Rabbit Repellent.  I picked up some twist ties to secure the chicken wire but they aren't working all that well.  Any other suggestions of how to attach the chicken wire? I was going to photograph the other containers that used to contain plants but didn't bother as all that is left is sand/sphagnum mix in those and a spattering of partially covered oak acorns and hickory nuts.

374b60f0.jpg

Here are new planters I bought this afternoon as well as two purchased yesterday. I am hopefully going to sink them in the ground and put chicken wire around them or bring them into the garage if the weather doesn't cooperate. I have more space to plant now and if I have to bring them in, they are light weight enough that I can carry them.

By the way, what is the best soil mix for CPs?  I have been using a sand/sphagnum mix.

f4a2b2a8.jpg

I have enough rain water, I think.

0a506e3f.jpg

I bought distilled water just in case I ran out and I solved the pine needle availability problem by asking a person if I could gather white pine needles from her property. She thought I was nuts but told me I was welcome to whatever was there. I was able to gather 3 small bags so far and I think I can get 3 more small bags and after that I will go seek out another property with white pine on it.

343d7c3c.jpg

I still can't locate bird netting.

I read quite a few threads here about lighting and it would appear the majority of people opt for fluorescents. In the event my enclosure fails and I need to bring plants inside; I purchased 3 shop fixtures with reflectors, 2 clamp fixtures, Philips flourescent Daylight Deluxe bulbs, and two Agro-Lite Grow bulbs.

6c9c2ef8.jpg

If this was a mistake, will someone please correct me now while I can still locate the receipt.

Well the plants that need dormacy cant go inside now,like the sarrs,vft and so on.You can grow tropical cps indoors all year with no problem.You can grow some tropical pings(butterworts),sundew,nepenthes,bladderworts and such inside.

Jerry

hmmm, Try this: Google: Bird netting. You can also Google the names of gardening supply catalogs as many garden seed companies now have their catalogs posted on the internet. For instance Gurney's Seed. It took a little looking and guessing when I got to their site to get: Gurney's Bird netting.

Back