Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for pinguiculaman

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a new P. prim and I'm going to put this one in a shallow tray with pure LFS and keep it very wet. I stuck a baby prim in the bottom of my nep tank at work which has a layer of LFS on the bottom. That little plantlet grew very well and looked so healthy. It was a beaut! Unfortunately I got sick and nobody at the office thought to water my tank and the ping and drosera fried... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

I've tried a number of ping mixes and so far I'm not that happy with any of them. So many different growers with different results with different mixes. I do have some right nice looking pings though...lots of flowers. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] Its the gypsicola that stubbornly won't grow. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A local nursery which specializes in desert plants, and also has a tropical greenhouse, including a few epiphytic and terrestrial orchids, had requested that I keep a few Mexican Pinguicula in their greenhouse to see how they perform. Initially I provided some plants in small plastic pots planted in 100% granulated peat moss. These pots were held in place atop the greenhouse benches by use of standard square black plastic mesh nursery flats. By the end of the first year most of the peat moss had either been washed away by heavy frequent watering with very hard tap water or had simply rotted away. These Pinguicula did not mind being without media, they multiplied prodigiously by leaves severed due to the nursery staff's forceful watering practices. Plantlets were everywhere, from the rims of the pots and flats to the exposed wood bench top and the gravel of the greenhouse floor beneath the bench. For me the most curious event produced by this "experiment", was that in this somewhat bright natural light, without any "strong" or "direct" sunlight, plants of Pinguicula esseriana, Pinguicula cyclosecta , and Pinguicula 'Sethos' became almost indistinguishable from each other in their vegetative growth. Another curious event was their flowering. It was very full and complete, nearly every medium to large size specimen produced multiple flowers, and they all bloomed together. There were so many plants crowded together in this area that the nursery owner requested that I please come thin them out. I soon obliged and decided to switch the plantings to 100% pumice.

It was this same nursery that had been my initial source of pumice. I had obtained some of this pumice from them a few years earlier for the explicit purpose of trying it with CP and quickly learned to appreciate its properties.

This time I used small trays (4" x 6") with a few vertical one inch slits cut in their bottoms -- along their sides and ends. I then filled the trays 1/2 full with pumice and sprinkled a little granulated peat moss on the surface and watered it in. This was to help hold the surface of the pumice together until the plants had established themselves. It is now many months later and the plants are all thriving in this nearly 100% pumice media.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool! Wish I could get my hands on that nice gray pumice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pumice I use is a light beige color, actually almost white.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very cool. it should be noted that not everything works for everyone. im growing my Pings in pure peat that is constantly sitting in 1/2 inch of water. and they are doing wonderfully, growing large fast and flowering. i would like to try the pure pumice, i guess im on the hunt for some too.

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well. if you find it on line, please share your source with me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to go place an order and there were too many choices. What say I just order the Black Gold from here-
    http://www.sungro.com/product....d_id=13

Would one bag do it? Three plants will be all I will have.

Thanks for the links... I have my credit card and am ready!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast