What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula grandiflora problem?

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I'm a little worried about my Pinguicula grandiflora.
I have it growing outside with my temperate sundews. The temps at night have been getting cold. The sundews all have formed there hibernacula, the Pinguicula grandiflora has not.
Do they take longer to form then sundews, or is there a problem?
Since it has not formed its hibernacula, skip dormancy?
Your thoughts?

More information is needed before an intelligent answer can be given to your question.

Where are you growing at?

How are you growing? Have the plants always been outside?

You say it's been getting cold outside, how cold?

I recommend careful examination of the plants growing point. Are new leaves still growing, or not? If not, there is most likely a hybernacula formed or forming at the apical meristem. Most temperate Pinguicula form their hybernacula just below the soil/media surface and the past seasons leaves can persist for quite some time. If conditions are right they can even persist into the next growing season.

I've been growing it outside since the weather stopped dropping below freezing in the beginning of this year. It is in a 4" pot with a soil mix of peat moss, perlite, and LFS.
The night temps at times have been in the mid 30's. Looking at this week coming up, it might be time to move all my plants to the unheated garage. I see some low 20's forecasted. The day temps are just making the low 60's.
The leaves have stopped growing a little while ago. If the hybernacula forms just below the soil/media surface it would explain why I do not see it.
Thanks for the info PinguiculaMan. I'll have to take a closer look at the plant.

Back