What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mexican ping garden

Here's a picture of the new growing space for my Mexican Pings.

pinggarden.jpg

My question is, they have been bone dry since late October. Should I water then a little or let them be? They are not in an enclosed area and the RH is about 40%.

-Homer

Definetly more water! They do not look like they are producing succulent growth.

I've never taken the water supply away from my Mexican pings... Except a few times when the started producing succulent growth just to see what would happen.. I get the same results both ways with all the sp. I grow.... They go back to carnivorous growth. I'd defiantly get more water to those guys....
Andrew

BTW, most Mexican Pinguicula DO NOT have dormancy. They do, however, experience a change in growth type due to seasonal changes in their natural environment.

To make holiday absences (mine) easier on my plants I have placed the greater majority of them into sealed ziploc plastic bags with water level at the surface of the media, all Mexican Pinguicula included. I began this treatment just prior to the Thanksgiving holiday here in the USA and they will remain in said treatment at least through the New Year. So far they seem to be responding most positively to floating in a mass of peat, pumice, sand and water.

They look really good for bone dry don't they?
Of course then Joseph has his water level at compost level, so what did we all learn from this?
smile_n_32.gif

Don't ever stop experimenting Joseph. Your Promethian techniques are the most cutting edge I have ever read, lol.

Cheers,

Joe

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Yes, Homer's Pinguicula look very nice for being so dry. I have experimented with drying a few of my own Pinguiicula to see how they would respond. They did not seem to grow or bloom like they do when I keep them wet. They did, however, not perish. So for my own peace of mind I keep them wet -- the lazy me sees that I have to spend less time tending them when I keep them sealed in ziploc bags and floating in water. I also keep getting amazingly pleasant surprises when I snap open a ziploc bag to check on their progress.</span>

So is the water-floating your "Winterizing" technique, then?

Cheers,

Joe

I also wonder if your "Pumice-core" technique is what allow that to work.
Like I said, good stuff.

Cheers,

Joe

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Though I may use this more often in the future. I don't think I have enough confidence in it yet for long-term use. Actually I was half expecting that I might open a ziploc now and again to get an unpleasant surprise. Fortunately that has not happened yet. So, after I am no longer planning to be away from home on holiday visits I will take them out of the ziplocs and let the excess water evaporate.</span>

The P. 'Sethos' has since flowered, but that's probably due to a shortened photoperiod I imagine. Needless to say I took all your advice and gave the pings a good drenching
smile_n_32.gif

-Homer

Back