What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New ping owner - help!

I bought a ping (P. Primuliflora) at Lowe's and it looked to be in great shape. When I took it out of the small terrarium it came in, potted it up, and put it in my 10 gallon terrarium it started to shrivel and looks pretty poor right now.

What do I need to do?!?

Thanks in advance.

Uh, get a time machine, go back before you changed every bit of the environment it had been adapted to; seriously though, too much too soon. If you can, I recommend putting it into a sealed plastic bag out of direct sun and seeing if it first regains any turgor in its leaves. If it does there is probably a little hope. If the leaves remain wilted and start to brown or rot, there may be a little hope, but not much.

Another trick I use is to rinse all media from its roots and put it into a small sealed jar of pure water and then into the refrigerator. This might help the plant gain necessary turgor to return to the fight.

Wish time machines were real - I could have used one more times than I can remember. Your wilt could have been a result of many different things.

The cold water in the refrigerator still works pretty good. But its just the first step in this kind of recovery - next (if the water revives it) is to pot it into media that is like mud. Gradually let the mud dry to a "wet" media, then maintain the media at the wet state.

Thanks, Joseph. I put the pot into a zip-loc bag right after reading your first post, and the wilting seems to have stopped. There is even a healthy-looking new leaf growing from the middle of the plant. Do you still think I need to try the water in the refrigerator?

Thanks for the help!

Nope, sounds like you've got it revived quite well. Good growing.

Back