Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: One is just never enough

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Jason_In_CO @ Mar. 17 2005,10:48)]I noticed your plants are covered with some kind gnat or something. What are they, and where do you get them?
    I think those are Joseph's granulated bloodworms that he sprinkles on his Pings. They can be obtained at tropical fish stores either frozen or freeze-dried.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob is absolutely correct. I use the fresh-frozen when defrosted for VFT and pitcher plants and the freeze-dried ones ground to a powder to sprinkle on sticky CP leaves.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Using a plastic vial with a couple of small holes drilled into its lid (1/32” diameter) as a shaker (like a salt or pepper shaker) I sprinkle a light dusting of RootShield® brand of Trichoderma harzianum powder onto the LFS.
    Forgive me for ignorance... I am unfamiliar with Trichoderma harzianum... and the Rootshield brand (I guess local garden centers don't carry it here). Is this a rooting hormone, or something else? I do have rooting hormone I use to grow cuttings of other plants, but don't want to jump in trying it on my cps without checking first... I'm afraid it would end up killing any leaves I tried it on.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure it's a beneficial fungus, Anoxos. It's grown in potting mediums to outcompete diseases and pests without harming plants, but I don't know that much more about it. I'm sure PinguiculaMan will see this and have a more detailed answer for you.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to my research it is supposed to be a beneficial fungi that gets its nourishment from the exudates from roots of various plants. It colonizes the surface of these roots and then grows its hyphae out into the surrounding soil/media to collect water and desirable plant nutrients which it then passes to the plant. While it is doing this it inhibits or surpresses the growth of pathogenic organisms.

A google search will reveal many sites that will explain it further.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went around looking for RootShield® but none of the nursery seems to carry it in Singapore. Can we use normal fungicide for the same procedure as suggested for propagating Pings?. i.e. Cheshire Chestnut (sp?) used to prevent seed damping

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jonpoh,
    Possibly so, but I've never used any fungicides, they don't really seem necessary when sufficient light is applied containing a suitable UV spectral component. I've only occasionally tried RootShield® to see if it would enhance growth. The same techniques as described earlier in this thread will work just fine even without the RootShield®. It is a beneficial living organism (a fungus species) and can occur naturally.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jonpoh,
    Don't use Cheshunt Compound! It's copper-based and deadly to carnivorous plants. I'd know... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Cheers

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast