Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: One is just never enough

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]In just a week or two they look like the photo in my post and the media surface is covered with beneficial fungal hyphae like a fine white spider web.
    This is good for other CPs as well?
    My Utricularia rienformis currently has a fine white 'web' across the surface of the soil. It seems to dicinigrate if you touch it. We are studing fungi in school right now, and I tried to bring some in to check out under the microscope, but after the car ride in a bag, it broke up to small to get a good idea of what it looked like.
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The breaking up of the fungal hyphae doesn't usually kill the fungus, it should grow new hyphae once conditions are suitable again.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the advice and comments!
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was wondering if the ping leaf has to have dew on it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]i was wondering if the ping leaf has to have dew on it?
    If you are asking that in regards to propogating them.

My limited experience has been. No.

Normally when I get a new plant, they come without 'dew', as I am plantig them, I'll take off a few of the lower leaves (or the ones that fell off during shipping) and toss them in my terrarium full of LFS, and they start forming new plants.. Using that method, I have not had any that didn't form plantlets.

Oh and from what I have heard, the non carnivorous leaves in winter are great for propogating.. This is my first winter them, so I haven't tried it yet.
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello everyone
    i have a few questions about leaf cutting mexi pings
    1. should the plastic bag be open, can i use tuppaware?
    2. can i keep the plastic bag in my terrarium? (60-85% humidity)
    3. do i have to use sphagnum moss, can i use peat moss?
    4. does the whole leaf have to be touching the moss, how would i do if so.?
    thanks alot for all your help

peanuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, from my limited experience:

1. See 2

2. I don't think you need it anything if it's already in the terrarium

3. peat is to compact for the roots. If you don't have access to LFS either live or dried. I'd try a mix 1:1 Peat:Perlite or 1:1:1 Peaterlite:vermiculite add sand to either if you like. (Edit: I use either of the 2 mixes, with a top dressing of LFS)

4. The base of the leaf, where it connected to the plant, is the most important, but keeping the whole leaf in contact with the moss seems to lengthen the time it takes to dry out.

4b. Move the moss around so it conforms to the shape of the leaf. For my P. 'Aphrodite' leaves I poke a whole diagonally into the LFS about 1" deep, and would then put the leaf into the whole, making sure I could still see the base of the leaf so I can see when new growth starts. After growth was visable, I'd bring it up to the surface. Smaller leaved Pinguicula I just place on the surface, trying to get them into a dimple.
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it alright if i put them in Dip N Grow, a liquid rooting concentrate.? basiclly its for taking cuttings that help them survive?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast