Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: One is just never enough

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i was allways interested in Utrics just never had a source for them... (i have a few now) i have a ping, it was great almost got seeds... all i have is a cutting and a baby suvivor! Hopefully i can keep these ones alive... And if i get them big enough i plan to get a bigger pot, and have a little hump in the soil and put lots of cuttings all over so as i have a tight grouping Ping... i had a purple tinged one but it was so small i killed it... *tear* i felt so guilty! YOU DONT KNOW HOW BAD!!! but now i plan on trying to keep my cuttings alive!!! its a P. primufloria but smal baby mexican pings tightly grouped to geather is great!!!

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thread,lots of good info that I have been wondering about.
    All proofs inevitably lead to propositions that have no proof. All things are known because we want to believe in them.

My Growlist updated with available trades and pictures - PM if interested

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several years ago someone in California traded with me and I acquired a couple of Mexican Pinguicula, I thought it was pretty nice to have them. One was Pinguicula 'Sethos', misidentified as Pinguicula 'Weser'. I kept it by itself in a ziploc plastic bag clothespinned to a fluorescent light fixture -- it grew well and even bloomed inside the bag. Another was Pinguicula rotundiflora. I struggled for several years, trying to find the conditions where the Pinguicula rotundiflora would grow well. During that adjustment period (for me and the plant), I was able to propagate others from detached leaves. It languished for years, the offsets grew no better than the parent plant. It is a miracle that none of these were lost, most of the time they were hardly larger than the head of a pin. The only success I was having, other than keeping them alive, was when I transplanted them, which I was doing regularly. Finally, I tried regularly spritzing the plant and media with a dilute solution of Peters 20-20-20 with micronutrients. Wow, the plants finally grew, boy did they grow. At last I could see some definition to the leaves. Since then I've adopted many other Pinguicula species, hybrids, and cultivars. These days I'm more confident growing and propagating them, but they can still throw a surprise from time to time.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this solution one can find at a Home Depot or Lowes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have found the Peters 20-20-20 fertilizer at Lowes here in Ca.
    It is cheap and comes in many sizes.
    I use it as a general fertilizer for my non-cp plants.
    I
    have only used fertilizer (foliar spray) on my Pings. For them i use a fertilizer specially for RO water. It has added calcium and magnesium that are missing in pure water.
    Peter.
    Please check my website for photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I obtained mine at Home Depot, though I've also seen it at Lowe's. It is in the form of soluble crystals with a little greenish-blue dye added. I figure the amount will possibly last me another 40-60 years, if I keep growing CP and live that long.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AREN'T THESE CUTE!!!!!!!!!
    I could smack ya both, Mr Clemens and JimScott!!!!!! You have no idea what I would do to get plants that looked as good as those!! Stop making it sound like it sooooo easy.......it ain't!!!! Anybody gona back me up here? All the internet searches, and going over and over and over the book I have (that would be the Savage Garden) and still stumble around. Ohhhhhh....I could smack ya!! Put everything you know on this forum!!! Make it step by step like, slowly.......put....the......soil.......in.....the....pot!! Yep, just like that! That would give me at least a running start... aaahhhhh!

Oh, BTW does any one know anything about a nep called gymnaphora? How is it supposed to be cared for? I can't find any info on it's care and it's dying....help......

Shame on you guys.......
    start typing!

marian
    twotut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reminds me of the way you can propagate succulent leaves such as Echeveria !

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast