Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: One is just never enough

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One Ping is never enough. I begin propagating usually as soon as I receive a new variety. I propagate again whenever I repot (taking a few leaves makes repotting just a little bit easier). Now that I have lots of cute little baby plants I am less worried if I should lose one of my "Mother" plants. I've never been concerned if the leaves were Summer or Winter form, in my experience they work the same (one consideration is that larger leaves contain more moisture), as long as you don't let the excess moisture of the larger Summer leaves cause rot.

Aren't these little ones cute?

A week or two later:

Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 11-09-2014 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Fix image link
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just need some bleu cheese dressing! Beautiful array... par usual!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost as cute as me!!!!!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read Bugweed's profile, and I won't argue with him, as he does martial arts and hunts.......
    Joe, do you put leaves in your normal compost to propagate?

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Joe and everyone, following is my Mexican Pinguicula propagating technique. This is my basic technique, which I tweak and modify when ideas occur to me.

First; I pull ½ or more of the leaves from plants I am transplanting, I do this beginning with the oldest leaves first.
    Second; using Ziploc® snack size bags (6 ½ “L x 3 ¼” W) I place a small quantity of slightly moist LFS inside, covering the bottom of the bag. Using a plastic vial with a couple of small holes drilled into its lid (1/32” diameter) as a shaker (like a salt or pepper shaker) I sprinkle a light dusting of RootShield® brand of Trichoderma harzianum powder onto the LFS.
    Third; I place the detached leaves onto the RootShield® dusted LFS in the Ziploc® bags.
    Fourth; using a Sharpie® permanent marker I label the outside of the bag.
    Fifth; I place the bags together where they are well lit and warm but not in direct sunlight and then I wait for about 2-3 weeks or until buds or small plantlets are clearly evident on the leaves, then I go to step six.
    Sixth; having prepared enough 2 ¼ “ square plastic pots ahead of time (see propagule pot preparation), I gently place the budding leaves onto the surface of the pots, put four pots per gallon size Ziploc® bag, seal the bag and place it under fluorescent lights next to the adult plants.

** Propagule pot preparation:
    Fill pot 2/3 full with moist LFS, packed loosely, top with ¼ - ½ “ of peat or peat/sand which has first been sterilized by cooking in a microwave [This must be done carefully, if the peat gets too hot, it will burn or partially burn and spoil the mix.], cooled down and then thoroughly inoculated with RootShield® brand of Trichoderma harzianum powder by dusting, mixing and then dusting and mixing again. After topping the pots I spritz them with enough water to wet the surface of the media then sprinkle an additional dusting of RootShield® brand of Trichoderma harzianum powder. The powder is very fine like dust and a little goes a very long way. In just a week or two they look like the photo in my post and the media surface is covered with beneficial fungal hyphae like a fine white spider web.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um... can we have this recipe for success pinned?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second Jimscott's motion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Pingman,

I noticed your plants are covered with some kind gnat or something. What are they, and where do you get them?

Thanks,

Jason

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast