What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snails vs pings

mabudon

Metal King
There's nothing much left top take a picture of, but ever since I received a P.emarginata x cyclosecta it was looking kinda rough...
It seemed to keep making leaves which seemd to keep dying off or outright disappearing.....
When I fired up my lights this morning I thought I saw something moving around where the last leaves had been yesterday and I grabbed my magnifying glass to discover a wee, flat brown snail finishing what was left of what seemed to be the last shoot coming from the roots.....

So now there is sorta basically nothing left save for a brown clump of dead stuff- is it all over for this poor little fellow???
I believe the snail was likely mixed in with the little bit of medium attached to the plant....
I looked real hard for any more but so far found none- what should I do at this point???
Any suggestions would be much appreciated, this was my only Pinguicula and if it's gone that would stink... and I'm worried about snails maybe eating the rest of my wee collection..... Are other plants in danger (I know how fast snails can reproduce and it sorta freaks me out)

I'm sorry to hear about that Mab. Those snails can be a real pain. That's why I always repot the less sensitive species as soon as I get them, no matter how reputable the source is. I just can't risk having wee nasty jobs creeping around my plants.
I can't help you on your question about whether the plant will recover or not... Apologies!

Amori

Try repoting the ping pot and toss the soil. If any more show up in other pots, repot all of them because they already took over. You can also rid them by drowing them, but that may be kinda messy with all that dirt. If your ping is temperate (I have no idea about that species), putting it into dormancy wont hurt. Usually my plants like pumpkins that I leave outside loose to snails, and I dont think cps will fair any better. Zongyi

Back