User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: P. vulgaris germination

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sowed some seeds of P. vulgaris without doing the studying up I should have and understand they need a stratification. I don't think 55-60F in my basement is enough (is it). What's the best course of action?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no ping expert, but what I did to stratify Sarracenia seeds was to sow them on wet peat/sand mixture, spray them with a little Physan to retard fungal infection, cover them up with plastic wrap, and stick 'em in the fridge for 6 weeks.

They're germinating now, so I must've done something right.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stratify the seeds for 3 months for vulgaris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Say eyedocbob, the P. villosa as well as the P. vulgaris happen to be plants that I want really bad. I spent a considerable amount of time checking up on these two plants and found several sources that indicated an eight week cold stratification period would be requisite. From all I have read, I doubt you have done any harm. If you have not already begun to cold stratify your seed, perhaps you might want to consider going the easy route. Wet a paper towel and then wring it out so that it is damp, not moist. Place your seeds in the paper towel then place them in a zip lock baggie and toss them in your frig for 60 days. Best wishes to you. Given all that I have read on P. vulgaris, 55-60F in your basement may not be adequate.