What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Happy dance!  my very first pings

I've got a P. gigantia 'Phil's Giant'<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Pinguicula gigantea (Phil's Giant)</span>, a P. agnata 'True Blue'<span style='color:red'>[Edit: single quotes are only used for valid, registered cultivars (True Blue)</span>, and a 'John Rizzi'<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Pinguicula 'John Rizzi', cultivar names must be preceded by the genus name or abbreviation]</span>!
3fb3aa9e.jpg

And, I have baby P. lusitanicas<span style='color:red'>[Edit: P. lusitanica, do not change the spelling of a species name to indicate plural tense, species names are both singular or plural without changing their spelling]</span>!
93731b2e.jpg

You can have some of my primuliflora<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Pinguicula primuliflora, the second part of a species name (specific epithet) must be preceded by the genus name, only together do they indicate the species]</span> plantlets... I'll just have more of them a week later.
smile.gif

Actually that's about as big as Pinguicula lusitanica grow.

Yeah. And they die off quick. Keep them going from seed. They are prolific seeders.

Yeesh... not like there was any other genus I might be talking about in this context.

Looks like someone beat me to getting Pinguicula lusitanica to you. Make room for 2 more plants.
smile_m_32.gif

endparenthesis > good point, but I gotta try to be fair.

Hey PingMan, thanks for the corrections. Now I can add them to my grow list. Speaking of my grow list, would you do me a favor and take a look at it when you have a spare moment and see if there are any corrections to be made please?  I'd really appreciate it. If you click on my www button, you'll get my grow list.  

Hey elgecko, sorry!  Sounds as if you got a little over generous again I take it. I'm fresh out of pots so off I go to the Asian food market again to get pots for new babies I didn't even know were on their way to me. Thank you!  

Hey endparenthesis, I just looked up the blooms on the P. primuliflora and they are absolutely beautiful.  May I please take a raincheck?  The pings I photographed are my very first and they just arrived this afternoon. I've never had one before let alone so many. I am sort of nervous about caring for the ones I just received (and the ones that I just learned are on their way to me). I am beside myself when something goes wrong with a plant so I need to hold off a little bit and learn how to take care of what I have.  I do sincerely thank you for the offer.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Mar. 09 2005,11:58)]Hey elgecko, sorry! Sounds as if you got a little over generous again I take it. I'm fresh out of pots so off I go to the Asian food market again to get pots for new babies I didn't even know were on their way to me. Thank you!
Laura,
Did you not get the last PM I sent you listing all the seed, gemmae, and plants coming your way?
I would think you should have them by this weekend.

Gosh elgecko, I don't think I did get it.  Perhaps I screwed up but does Terra ever boo boo sending PMs?

I knew you were sending D. capensis and D. spatulata seed and extra seed so I did tell Mrs. Bohning to make more space for trays to germinate. Hate to do this but I need help on how to care for gemmae.  We need instructions on that one or it will end up toast. Please use my regular e-mail so I can forward the growing instructions to the classroom computer so they are right there in the room on an e-mail for them to follow. You'll be in good company on the classroom computer with Brooks Garcia, Bob Ziemer, and William Dawnstar. I forwarded their directions over too. Much easier that way as they can look up the plant or seed and voila!  The directions are right there any time they need to access them.  The teacher and the kids still make mistakes though, just not as many.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Mar. 09 2005,11:58)]Hey endparenthesis, I just looked up the blooms on the P. primuliflora and they are absolutely beautiful.  May I please take a raincheck?
So far I haven't gotten a plantlet to survive (granted I haven't tried very hard)... I need to put them somewhere more humid. So I'll work on that, and you can have the result.

The flowers are pretty nice. It's the first CP I've had do it, and the fourth bloom is already on its way.

Here's a list of what I recall I included.

Seeds:
Darlingtonia californica - stratified
Drosera capensis 'alba'<span style='color:red'>[Edit: There is no cultivar of Drosera presently registered as 'alba' or 'Alba', there is, however, a cultivar derived from Drosera capensis named, Drosera 'Albino'.]</span>
Drosera capensis 'red'<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Drosera capensis (red). There is no cultivar of Drosera presently registered as 'red' or 'Red', as your single quotes would imply. I recommend enclosing these non-cultivar descriptive terms in parentheses or double quotes to avoid confusing them with valid, registered cultivar names.]</span>
Drosera spatulata
Drosera sessilifolia

Gemmae:
Drosera nitidula ssp allantostigma

Plants:
Dionaea muscipula - Dente<span style='color:red'>[Edit: The correct registerd name for this cultivar is Dionaea 'Dentate Traps']</span>
Dionaea muscipula - Typical
Drosera capensis 'alba'<span style='color:red'>[Edit: There is no cultivar of Drosera presently registered as 'alba' or 'Alba', there is, however, a cultivar derived from Drosera capensis named, Drosera 'Albino'.]</span>
Pinguicula lusitanica

The VFTs, I'm pretty sure that the larger one is a Dente<span style='color:red'>[Edit: The correct registerd name for this cultivar is Dionaea 'Dentate Traps']</span> and the smaller one a Typical. I did not keep my piles well orginaized when I seperated the plants. You might have 2 Dente<span style='color:red'>[Edit: The correct registerd name for this cultivar is Dionaea 'Dentate Traps']</span> or 2 Typcial, I do not know for sure. But I do know they are VFTs.
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

You will be able to tell when they are older.

Hey endparentheses, I accept your "result" and thank you.

Hey Santa Claus oh excuse me I meant elgecko, I bought a new home (glazed pot) for your P. lusitanica babies today. I'm ready for new babies! Those sure are the neatest little plants. I'm keeping those myself and am NOT sending them to the school. I gotta thang for pings these days. Darlingtonia californica- wow! Do you have any photos of the parent plants?  I'd love to see what your Momma looks like. I'm thinking my son is going to claim those seeds. I need instructions on the Drosera nitidula ssp. allantostigma gemmae please. I am absolutely clueless as to what to do with gemmae and those will go to the school. Skip that request, I forgot I had your website bookmarked. I'm set!  Thanks so much!

Hi elgecko, I stopped in to the science room this morning and talked with Mrs. Bohning.  She is thrilled to death and says thank you. I'm giving her one of your Pings as I just realized the classroom didn't have any. I told her that Nick would probably claim the Darlingtonia californica seed and she laughed. The teacher is really most excited about the VFTs.  Evidently those are by far the favorite of the kids. And... the kids will not be feeding them pieces of their cafeteria hamburgers any longer as they finally made the connection that this kills them!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Mar. 10 2005,10:37)]I need instructions on the Drosera nitidula ssp. allantostigma gemmae please. I am absolutely clueless as to what to do with gemmae and those will go to the school.
basically treat them like seeds, just set them on top of moist soil and they will do the rest themselves. a deep pot is better than a shallow one so think taller than wide. i generally grow mine in a 3.5 inch wide pot thats 5 inches tall. the lil guys actially get roots that will go pretty deep but dont branch out to the side much. just keep them in a tray thats deep enough to allow the soil surface to stay moist(i generally only need about an inch of water, less once they are a few months old and have roots going deep.

Back