Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What did i do wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These plants arrived perfectly healthy. It appears it has taken me less than a week to destroy plants that were quality when I received them. The other 3 Pings I received at the exact same time appear to be perfectly fine. I am absolutely clueless.

To the best of my knoweldge, there was absolutely nothing wrong with these plants when I received them. They were packed well and were thriving... until they had the misfortune of ending up at my house. Here's a photo of them the day I received them-

Please let me know what I have done wrong so that I don't repeat this same mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What species? I would say fungus or soil borne pathogen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like P. lusitanica. I have never seen anything like that happen to mine, I'm afraid to say. Maybe they don't like travel so much. However, I can send you some seed the next time I get some if they don't make it.. Once you have a couple of these going, you get viable seed pretty regularly.

Give them some time, though. They may come back.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    improper aclimation, temperature/humidity swings, etc

looks like they've been cooked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, they are P. lusitanica. I'd be inclined to think an airborne pathogen would be out in this length of time because I "cooked" my planting medium in my microwave. I have a habit of cooking planting medium. And in this particular situation, all of it, save the LFS which was added last, was "cooked". I suppose anything is possible.

I was somewhat leery of placing newly transplanted plants in full sun so I stuck them in a bathroom in a spot where they would only get about 3 hours of sun a day. I figured I'd move them around a little bit in about 10 days. They looked cooked to me too for some reason. I watched them decline over the last few days but figured they'd perk up. When they didn't, I posted the photo here.

Something that comes to mind, the outside air temps were in the 20's on the day these were delivered and these were so small. I knew they were coming that day so I stopped back in at my house several times throughout the day so that they wouldn't be sitting outside for any length of time. Perhaps the back of the truck wasn't heated and the smallest plants succumbed? I did not receive them until the end of the day. I must be at the end of the route. They were sent next day air though.

I'll leave them be for a while as suggested. Thanks for your offer of seed Capslock, I appreciate it. Let's see if they don't come back though.

Thanks all, I guess this is going to be one of those mysteries of the universe.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laura,
    Sorry to hear about your P. lusitanica. Lets hope that mine will make it. Have you received them yet?
    I grow mine as windowsill plants, so hopefully they will not have trouble acclimating to your house. If they fail and Capslock does not have any seed, I have some in the fridge right now.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi There elgecko, no I did not receive them yet. Did you send them to my address or to the school? The school is in Kenosha Wisconsin. If you sent them to me via regular mail, it would depend on what day you sent them as to what day I will get them. It can take 2-3 days so don't worry, maybe Monday. I'm looking for them though and on Friday I stopped in at the house a few times just in case they came that day and I also asked my neighbor to use binoculars and look out her front window to my front door stoop to see if anything was sitting there. They leave packages on my front door stoop and the neighbor is a gardener and there are no leaves on the trees right now so she can actually see my stoop for a few more months. On Saturday, one of us was home all day so they wouldn't have sat out in the cold if they came. I will let you know as soon as they come.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen Darlingtonia, spatulata, primuliflora all look fine until I bring them home. Then, within hours, they are withered. I think that a plant under stress, either from lack of attention or being dried out or covered up too long or too great a temperature disparity, will result in shock (as was suggested by everybody above). In time, new leaves will come in, looking healthy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast