What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pink leaved ping questions and misc.

I believe I understand that bigger is not necessarily better as pertains to leaf size in some species in that it would appear some Pings have developed growth habits that are adaptive to better insure their survival. Correct me if I am off base on this however, pink leaves on both tropical Homophyllous and Heterophyllous Pinguicula would be a sign the grower has met the optimal light requirements of the plant? Therefore, if a Mexican ping from the lower elevation ranges of that region does not have tinges of pink... it is not getting enough light?  

Is there a list out there somewhere that provides the native range of tropical Pings?  

I would also like to know more about "moving air" and what constitutes same or rather what would be deemed acceptable movement. Exactly how does one create moving air aside from adding an osciallting fan? Is routine human activity in a room throughout the course of the day sufficient?  There are people growing Pings in terrariums who appear to be enjoying success.  Surely that environment would be stagnating, wouldn't it?

Does any one happen to have any photos of rosy pink Ping leaves that they would be in a position to share with me?

Oh gosh, a few more questions.

I note reference to tufa gravel at this site-
http://www.flytrap.demon.co.uk/notes/pinguicu.htm

It appears to be a viable substitute for that nice light gray pumice which is difficult to get around me without mail ordering it. What is tufa gravel?  

At the above referenced site, readers who were growing Mexican ping were instructed to not "water from October - March. Keep warm and half-shaded. Mist occasionally".  This defies logic particularly in my region where the humidity levels drop substantially due to freezing outer air temps to the point many of us have whole house humidifiers attached to our furnaces to avoid getting bloody noses.  I am thinking the practice of not watering Mexican Pings might not be in the best interests of the plants, at least in my area. I am thinking I would end up with the equivalent of a 7th grade science experiment gone bad, very bad.

I have killed a few pings by "following the rules". I can't use the tray method for most of my pings in my grow room. I've had to pull pings from the room when they developed leaf rot, grow them in the house till they settle down then move them back to my grow room and cut back on the water. These plants were grown in trays prior to my getting them. To quote Pinguicula Man "experiment" and propagate your plants as soon as you get them (leaf cuttings).

I have shyed away form most pings because of my experiences. But it looks like I am slowly figuring out what works for me.

I you find a source for pumice gravel in the Midwest, let me know.

Glenn

I found a source for pumice once a few months ago. I bought a bag on line and had it delivered and for the life of me I can not find the url to the website that I ordered that pumice from and I don't have any left. I know I paid for it with a credit card and now I can't even find the entry on statements.  

To the best of my knowledge, nice gray pumice stone is not carried out our way.

As far as propagating my pings as soon as I get them... I can't bare to rip their little leaves off right now.  Nope, no way! I know I should but I can not bring myself to do it.

In most cases I find that with enough strong light for 12 or more hours per day even Pinguicula gypsicola, which is known as a touchy Mexican species has been grown by me as a semi-aquatic in a mixture of sand/coral. I keep one in plastic pot inside a container, "rocks glass" with water 90% of the time at the media surface (semi-aquatic). I keep it within 1/2 inch of the cool white fluorescent lights for 15 hours per day.

P_gypsicola_sand-coral_web.jpg

Even under my high light environment I find that not all Mexican Pinguicula develop a pink or red tint to their leaves. I have seen that under lower light conditions non of them do.

They don;t seem to like terrariums, contrary to popular belief. I grow all mine onthe windowsill.

I have only built one terrarium recently. It belongs to a friend of mine. She keeps her CP collection in it. It has 6 -> 10 watt cool white compact flash lights and 2 -> 20 watt warm white compact fluorescent lights. All lights are mounted on a top cover board painted reflective white and the bottom, back, and ends are coated with reflective mylar film. She has each different plant in individual saucers. The terrarium is in a ten gallon aquarium tank. In this high light environment all her CP, Mexican Pinguicula included grow very well while sitting in saucers of water.

I think that one reason many terraria do not support good Pinguicula growth is that their levels of appropriate PAR spectrum photo radiation are too low and the duration not long enough.

Thanks for the link!  That wasn't the one I originally ordered from but your place is a $1 a bag cheaper than what I recall so this will work very well for me.

I bought an architect style fixture as well as another clamp fixture (remind me to buy stock in lighting fixtures) today at WalMart as well as what I believe to be cool fluorescents to increase the lighting around my pings. I hope one 20 watt compact is enough supplemental lighting for them. I also picked up a few fans. What the heck, I was there and figured I might as well save myself a trip. Then I stopped over at PetSmart and picked up some nice "not so juicy" freezed dried bloodworms as well as koi pellets.  My pings do not look big enough to supplement yet but figured I might as well have those on hand.  While at PetSmart, I found flightless fruitflies.  I bought those too and am waiting for my son who is interested in CPs to come home so that he can trap one under a clear solo cup and put it over one of my pings. He's been chomping at the bit to feed something and I doubt one fruit fly can do damage. Please tell me one fruit fly won't do damage?  

Other than that, I'd still like to know if there is a list out there somewhere that provides the native range of tropical Pings?  

I'd also like to know more about "moving air" and what constitutes same. My Pings are on a vanity in a bathroom. If I have to add a fan, I just happen to have one on hand to add.

OK, I followed it and entered the growing tips section. I'll go back and check for native ranges.

Native ranges are mapped under each individual species.

I'm in the proper area of the site now.

Back