What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula 'John Rizzi'

Looks like it might be a moranensis x cyclosecta hybrid from the roundness of the leaves and coloration of the flower.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Mar. 20 2005,5:45)]Say PinguiculaMan and adnedarn, do either of you know how to notify the webmaster over at the Humboldt photo site that a few of the photos listed under 'John Rizzi' are incorrect?
I have indeed been following this thread with interest. One of the reasons that I started my Photo Finder is to foster exactly this type of discussion and perhaps assist in sorting-out the chaos generated by buying or trading plants based on word-of-mouth naming, rather than taxonomic rigor. If you look carefully at the photos I have linked in the Finder, you will undoubtedly find hundreds, perhaps thousands, of links to plants that are incorrectly identified. Once such a photo is discovered, I suggest that the owner be contacted, with a cc to me. If I agree with the assessment, I will add a note in the Photo Finder until the photo is correctly labeled or withdrawn.

Below is the P. 'John Rizzi' (?) that I received from Andrew. It is a lovely, vigorous, and prolific plant with rather firm leathery leaves.
P_JohnRizzi3034.JPG

BTY Bob check you photo finder undre D. capensis x. intermedia or is it brevifolia. P. 'John Rizzi' is said to be very vigorous but the one I had died right after arrival. The other plants in the pack lived fine though.

Say Bob, are you the owner of the Humboldt site? I suppose that would make you the webmaster if you are.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ Mar. 21 2005,5:36)]BTY Bob check you photo finder undre D. capensis x. intermedia or is it brevifolia.
I don't have a link to D. capensis x intermedia. What am I supposed to discover? Be a bit more specific.

The flowers look slightly like P. 'Sethos' to me. Particularly in the two pairs of white rays on the petals to either side of the long one on the bottom petal. The bottom ray appears to be about twice as long as that of the P. 'Sethos' I have seen.

Here is a photo of the Pinguiciula 'John Rizzi' I recently received from Philcula (Phil). Now this plant very much appears to be the Pinguiciula 'John Rizzi' represented by the official cultivar description and standard photo.

P_John_Rizzi_web_aa.jpg

Why the double pot? Please explain.

That is a great plant Joseph!  That is a great photo!  You should go and add that to the Humboldt site!

That is a beautiful plant, indeed! Yes, by all means, please explain the use of a double pot. Is this an experiment in Pinguicula culture or is it a proven method?

Corey

All credit for cultivating this plant should be given to Philcula, I have only been caring for it about 1 week. It had developing buds when I received it, which have subsequently bloomed. It was grown exceptionally well and is in superb health. I hope I can do nearly as well keeping it up and propagating it to share with others.

I created this page to explain my double-pot technique:
Double-pot technique

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yes, by all means, please explain the use of a double pot.  Is this an experiment in Pinguicula culture or is it a proven method?

I see how you create the double pot however I need help understanding why you chose to try growing them using this technique.

Though I have much more growing area than many other CP hobby growers. It still is not enough for me. Subsequently I grow all my plants in the smallest pots possible, thereby managing to crowd as many pots into each growing tray as I can. Despite the degree of dwarfing that this crowding produces, it does not dwarf all of them to remain within the confines of their containers.

For those who always choose to take up more than their fair share of space I opted to give them the additional horizontal space they use, but on a different plane (altitude) so as not to interfere with their neighbors when they stretch to grow and cover the foliage of their neighbors. This way the neighbor plants can still get their fair share of illumination.

These objectives needed a pot with a wider base and taller, narrower planting area than a typical pot would provide.

And, another objective is to give those plants that attempt to uproot themselves when their leaves reflex (bend down hard) and push them out of their media the ability to permit the leaves to reflex without forcing their plant to uproot itself. The leaves just grow to form a vertical shield down the sides of the upper pot.

Ok, now I see the reason for the double pots.  It all makes sense to me now, LOL!  I keep forgetting how easy it is to run out of room for plants, even for those that we like the best.  

If these plants in double pots are tray watered, do they then receive a lesser amount of water due to the increased height of the pot causing less water to be wicked up?

I had concerns about possible watering difficulties since these plants are farther from the water than their contemporaries, but experience has shown that they have no trouble getting the water they need in this setup.

Somehow my supposed P. 'John Rizzi' just don't seem so special anymore
biggrin.gif
. I guess it is pretty enough, but in my eyes it doesn't compare to the pictured plant. Good growing guys!

Peter

Back