Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pinguicula 'John Rizzi'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joseph -
    That's very interesting. P. agnata or P. gigantea could very well be in the mix. Unfortunately it could also be a hybrid involved. Who knows. But the leaves are most interesting. Under warm temps and bright light a full grown plant has pronounced red veins and very undulated leaf margins. They remind me of what a flounder would look like settling into the ocean floor to bury itself in the sand. ?: Are you familiar with any Mexican species or hybrids that display similar characteristics? It's quite the mystery.

Laura-
    You're cracking me up! A digital camera would be great and I'm sure I would get lots of help from the nice folks here on how to use it. But my problem is I use Webtv and it doesn't allow use of photo cards or stuff like that. I may have to break down and get a REAL computer!

Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lord knows you heavy hitters have bailed my happy rear end out enough with the plants of my new found obsession so philcula... if you break down and decide that you want to mumble obscenities and join the ranks of others who find comuters to be a necessary evil... let me know and I will help you. I have set up a two computers for a two not for profits in the area (there are certainly those far more qualified and I'm certainly no expert by any means BUT I was free) and could probably handle one stand alone pc as well as requisite softwre such as firewalls and anti virus applications via a phone. My treat and many thanks for my 'John Rizzi' that you placed in my box!

No cyber sites directed at my head but did any of you Ping afficionados think of P. 'Weser' as possibly contributing to 'John Rizzi'? And then there's always Cornell. You all could send out samples from the most likely contributors along with a sample of a 'John Rizzi' and let them help sort out the parentage. But then, that might spoil the fun of guessing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting thread, i have a lil bitty plantlet of 'John Rizzi' from Copper but im quite aways away from it blooming.

Laura, on your concern about getting it to bloom again for you in my limitted experiance with the P. moranensis hybrids i have, they are pretty much free flowering and act quite a bit like african violets with one flower right after another. good luck with it, its a beautiful lil plant.

btw does anyone know if the continual flowering will be detrimental to the plant in any way? they are steadily increasing in diameter so i havent been to worried.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With my primuliflora, which is not a Mexican Ping, after 8 consecutive flowers and several plantlets, the poor thing looked like a human female, immediately after labor. Yeah, 6 weeks for 100 % recovery! Right! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like it might be a moranensis x cyclosecta hybrid from the roundness of the leaves and coloration of the flower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Mar. 20 2005,5:45)]Say PinguiculaMan and adnedarn, do either of you know how to notify the webmaster over at the Humboldt photo site that a few of the photos listed under 'John Rizzi' are incorrect?
    I have indeed been following this thread with interest. One of the reasons that I started my Photo Finder is to foster exactly this type of discussion and perhaps assist in sorting-out the chaos generated by buying or trading plants based on word-of-mouth naming, rather than taxonomic rigor. If you look carefully at the photos I have linked in the Finder, you will undoubtedly find hundreds, perhaps thousands, of links to plants that are incorrectly identified. Once such a photo is discovered, I suggest that the owner be contacted, with a cc to me. If I agree with the assessment, I will add a note in the Photo Finder until the photo is correctly labeled or withdrawn.

Below is the P. 'John Rizzi' (?) that I received from Andrew. It is a lovely, vigorous, and prolific plant with rather firm leathery leaves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTY Bob check you photo finder undre D. capensis x. intermedia or is it brevifolia. P. 'John Rizzi' is said to be very vigorous but the one I had died right after arrival. The other plants in the pack lived fine though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Say Bob, are you the owner of the Humboldt site? I suppose that would make you the webmaster if you are.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast