Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pinguicula 'John Rizzi'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ Mar. 21 2005,5:36)]BTY Bob check you photo finder undre D. capensis x. intermedia or is it brevifolia.
    I don't have a link to D. capensis x intermedia. What am I supposed to discover? Be a bit more specific.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The flowers look slightly like P. 'Sethos' to me. Particularly in the two pairs of white rays on the petals to either side of the long one on the bottom petal. The bottom ray appears to be about twice as long as that of the P. 'Sethos' I have seen.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a photo of the Pinguiciula 'John Rizzi' I recently received from Philcula (Phil). Now this plant very much appears to be the Pinguiciula 'John Rizzi' represented by the official cultivar description and standard photo.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why the double pot? Please explain.

That is a great plant Joseph! That is a great photo! You should go and add that to the Humboldt site!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a beautiful plant, indeed! Yes, by all means, please explain the use of a double pot. Is this an experiment in Pinguicula culture or is it a proven method?

Corey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All credit for cultivating this plant should be given to Philcula, I have only been caring for it about 1 week. It had developing buds when I received it, which have subsequently bloomed. It was grown exceptionally well and is in superb health. I hope I can do nearly as well keeping it up and propagating it to share with others.

I created this page to explain my double-pot technique:
    Double-pot technique

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Yes, by all means, please explain the use of a double pot. Is this an experiment in Pinguicula culture or is it a proven method?
    I see how you create the double pot however I need help understanding why you chose to try growing them using this technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though I have much more growing area than many other CP hobby growers. It still is not enough for me. Subsequently I grow all my plants in the smallest pots possible, thereby managing to crowd as many pots into each growing tray as I can. Despite the degree of dwarfing that this crowding produces, it does not dwarf all of them to remain within the confines of their containers.

For those who always choose to take up more than their fair share of space I opted to give them the additional horizontal space they use, but on a different plane (altitude) so as not to interfere with their neighbors when they stretch to grow and cover the foliage of their neighbors. This way the neighbor plants can still get their fair share of illumination.

These objectives needed a pot with a wider base and taller, narrower planting area than a typical pot would provide.

And, another objective is to give those plants that attempt to uproot themselves when their leaves reflex (bend down hard) and push them out of their media the ability to permit the leaves to reflex without forcing their plant to uproot itself. The leaves just grow to form a vertical shield down the sides of the upper pot.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast