What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula 'John Rizzi'

Laura takes a flounce and a curtsy!
Hey, it's ALIVE!  It's also blooming for me!  I haven't killed it with kindness yet!
a8dc463c.jpg

This plant was sent to me with the bloom but look at how nice the color is in the flower.
94e083ad.jpg

Wow!  That one is beautiful!  I can't wait till my own pings are healthy enough to flower for me.

Corey

Valid point. It is beautiful isn't it. You can cheat like me and buy them like that. Tee he! They'll bloom real nice for you then. Getting it to bloom again is going to be the trick. Here's hoping I can learn enough to keep my babies happy and healthy!

Laura,
Your flower has markings very similar to my own, Pinguicula 'John Rizzi', I wonder since it is so compact (your corolla segments are very close together), if your flower is younger than mine and perhaps it will expand as it gets older.

Here is a recent photo of one of mine in bloom (in real life the flower is actually a much darker pink, but I haven't mastered my camera yet):

P_John_Rizzi_web_a.jpg

Oh I think you did a fine job with your camera. I noticed your leaves have a nice rosy tint to them!

I have no idea how old my plant is however I suspect it is younger than yours. Regrding my flower, it just opened up this morning. I check on my plants throughout the day and when I got up this morning... there was that pretty flower just opening up. The color I am seeing on my monitor of my bloom, is the color of the actual flower.

Awww nice little plant Laura... Here is what mine looked like back when it flowered...
Pjohnrizziinbloom.jpg

Andrew

Aw Andrew, now that your little pretty has joined the line up... we have a parade of Pings! Your flower and Joseph's flower look very similar. The coloration is virtually the same also. Very nice!

Hmmm, I got my start from Ed Read. He said he got it from California Carnivores. Comparing your flower with Mine and Andrew's (Andrew got his start from me), and both against the published photograph in "The Savage Garden", it appears ours might turn out to be mis-identified. I will do some more digging, to be sure. The description describes leaves with no margin. That does not appear to be how mine are. The standard photo shows a flower that is nearly round, like yours, not like mine and Andrew's.
smile_h_32.gif

Have fun. What you propose sounds sort of like locating a needle in a haystack. If for any reason you find that my 'John Rizzi' is properly identified and you would like seed, let me know how to collect the seed and I would be more than happy to do so for you and send it your way.

The plant Laura has is the true 'John Rizzi'. She received it from me and I received it from John Rizzi himself. Her plant is currently in its winter rosette stage and preparing to divide. Her flowers will not continue to spread out like the other photos posted. I'm afraid what you guys have are Peter's 'John Rizzi' F2 selfings, not the pure one. In its full growth stage the leaves are very wide and the margins undulate. In strong light the leaves develop beautiful red veins, but the flowers are always perfectly round and around 1-1/2 to 2 inches diameter. I have around 60 flowers on my plants right now. It's too bad I don't own a digital camera.

Phil

Phil,
Thanks for the info. You really should get a digital camera.

Shame on Peter for doing that
smile_h_32.gif
, he should know better, than to do that and not make sure it was noted.

Laura,
Appreciate the offer, but most cultivars, especially of hybrid origin will never come true from seed. What would be needed is a couple of small winter leaves broken off at their connection with the stem. See my thread about Pinguicula 'Enigma'.

Pingman - Peter is a great person and a close personal friend, but he does sometimes mix up his labels. Since the original clone cross was made by a hummingbird no one knows the parentage other than the P. moranensis being the seed parent the bird visited. What's your guess? I am thinking along the lines of P. moranensis x P. zecheri or P. hemiepiphytica.

Phil

I JUST can't bare to tear even so much as one leaf off of my plant. You have a lot of Pings, I only have what you see in the photos. No can do at this stage in the game. My baby would probably be screaming in pain as I ripped its little leaves off. All teasing aside, my hand would tremble and I'd probably have heart palpitations but if you want me to tear a leaf off... I will for you.

Say PinguiculaMan and adnedarn, do either of you know how to notify the webmaster over at the Humboldt photo site that a few of the photos listed under 'John Rizzi' are incorrect? That is my favorite CP site on all the web and I go there a lot and get lost clicking here and clicking there.

Laura, the person which runs that site is a member on this forum by the name of BobZ... I will contact him and link him to this topic... Mainly because I am pretty sure that I sent him a plant of this and would want him to keep up with what is decided with our clone of it.
Andrew

Phil,
Considering the shape of the flower, perhaps even Pinguicula agnata or Pinguicula gigantea.

No aspersions on Peter, it can and has happened to many of us. I have a tray of F2's, (Pinguicula 'Sethos' x self). I am afraid to distribute them until I have made my selections and registered them as cultivars.

I recently discovered that what I had received as Pinguicula 'Tina' was actually Pinguicula 'Gina' and vise versa. It seems that Pinguicula, especially the Mexican species and hybrids/cultivars are often confused. I actually received my Pinguicula 'Sethos' under the mistaken identification of Pinguicula 'Weser'. The CP Database didn't help much with this one, it has a photograph of a blooming Pinguiciula 'Sethos' under the description of Pinguicula 'Weser'
smile_h_32.gif

Laura,
Don't worry, I'm sure you will become an expert Pinguicula grower in no time at all.

Naaa, philcula doesn't need a camera... he'd have to read the owner's manual and then he'd have to monkey around with all the settings and then he'd have less time to grow plants.  I'll buy more plants from him after I get some experience under my belt and post photos of plants that come from him. The 'John Rizzi' was actually over and above my order. It was a total surprise when I opened up the box and found an extra plant. I was all but jumping up and down and my husband just shook his head as if I had lost it while I ran to the computer to go look it up at the Humboldt site.

Ha! Expert ping grower? Doubtful but you can all give me an A for effort.

Joseph -
That's very interesting. P. agnata or P. gigantea could very well be in the mix. Unfortunately it could also be a hybrid involved. Who knows. But the leaves are most interesting. Under warm temps and bright light a full grown plant has pronounced red veins and very undulated leaf margins. They remind me of what a flounder would look like settling into the ocean floor to bury itself in the sand. ?: Are you familiar with any Mexican species or hybrids that display similar characteristics? It's quite the mystery.

Laura-
You're cracking me up! A digital camera would be great and I'm sure I would get lots of help from the nice folks here on how to use it. But my problem is I use Webtv and it doesn't allow use of photo cards or stuff like that. I may have to break down and get a REAL computer!

Phil

Lord knows you heavy hitters have bailed my happy rear end out enough with the plants of my new found obsession so philcula... if you break down and decide that you want to mumble obscenities and join the ranks of others who find comuters to be a necessary evil... let me know and I will help you. I have set up a two computers for a two not for profits in the area (there are certainly those far more qualified and I'm certainly no expert by any means BUT I was free) and could probably handle one stand alone pc as well as requisite softwre such as firewalls and anti virus applications via a phone. My treat and many thanks for my 'John Rizzi' that you placed in my box!

No cyber sites directed at my head but did any of you Ping afficionados think of P. 'Weser' as possibly contributing to 'John Rizzi'? And then there's always Cornell. You all could send out samples from the most likely contributors along with a sample of a 'John Rizzi' and let them help sort out the parentage. But then, that might spoil the fun of guessing.

interesting thread, i have a lil bitty plantlet of 'John Rizzi' from Copper but im quite aways away from it blooming.

Laura, on your concern about getting it to bloom again for you in my limitted experiance with the P. moranensis hybrids i have, they are pretty much free flowering and act quite a bit like african violets with one flower right after another. good luck with it, its a beautiful lil plant.

btw does anyone know if the continual flowering will be detrimental to the plant in any way? they are steadily increasing in diameter so i havent been to worried.

With my primuliflora, which is not a Mexican Ping, after 8 consecutive flowers and several plantlets, the poor thing looked like a human female, immediately after labor. Yeah, 6 weeks for 100 % recovery! Right!
smile_m_32.gif

Back