Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: P. primuiflora at lowe's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, they just got a shipment in a few weeks ago at my local Lowes, and some of them are looking pretty sad now... I feel so sorry for them (the plants). I did pick up a P. primulifora that had a little plantlet, but most were in too small a terrarium for them. What else I saw in the shipment:
    Dionea muscipula (typical)
    Sarracenea purpurea
    Darlingtonia californica
    Drosera adelae
    All of them were pale from lack of light. I hope the Ping perks up now that its under the grow lights. The Sarracenae, Ping, and Drosera were not given species names; I had to look them up to figure them out.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Anoxos and welcome to the forums! Sounds like you have been perusing through their plastic cubes. It was because of Lowes and Home Depot that I initiated an intensive book and online ID search that led me to this discussion forum. What a goldmine of a find!

The D. adelae, P. primuliflora, and the "Tropical Pitcher Plant" (not mentioned) are great indoor plants, while the VFT, Sarracenias, Darlingtonia do best when kept outside. The D. adelae & P. primuliflora do best on window sills, "open tray" (pot sitting in plastic container, uncovered).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I have become an aficianado of the 'temperate terrarium', mainly due to the fact that I live in an apartment where my ONLY windows are shady west-facing ones... And the annual temperature/humidity swing outside isn't suitable to leave many of them out year-round. Undercabinet-mounted grow lights make renovated aquariums in my kitchen a happy CP biosphere. Didn't see any 'tropical pitcher plants' locally, just the ones I mentioned.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya gotta make do with what ya got! Artificial lighting is better than nothing. I believe it is Pinguiculaman, who has grown CP's since 1968, utilizes artificial lighting. We'll help you along the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL. Thanks. It is my first ping, but not my first CP. I've got VTFs, drosera, and a happy darllingtonia about to outgrow the tank. They do fine in the kitchen, so I'm hoping the ping does too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123