Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P. primuiflora at lowe's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got one - and didn't realize what kind of ping it was until I looked at online pictures. I keep reading they are prone to rot. How do you keep that from happening when you keep the pot in distilled water, like I do? I fell in love with Jim's primuiflora and knew I had to have one. Little did I know they were at my local Lowe's! Just had to share my joy at having my first ping!

Randi

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Seaecho and welcome to the forums! Oh wait, we already did that! I must have had incredible beginner's luck with mine. What I have done is keep it open tray method. that goes a long way in preventing and curing, somewhat, the tufts of white fungus growths. Even still, I have noticed the cotton-like growths on the soil surface. For the most part, that can be removed with tweezers. What inevitably remains, seems to be harmless. Also, what I do is fill the open tray from below the pot containing the plant and then once or twice a week, depending upon how much sunlight / evaporation occurs. I don't let things dry out, but I don't keep it perpetually water-logged. Seems to work.

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I follow Jim's method... he got me BACK into the Primufloras[Edit: correction, should read, P. prumuliflora; a species name always includes the genus, even if only an abbreviation, and the species name is never modified in any way, for any reason. It should not end in "s", unless the species name itself ends in "s".] I'm on my third one and this one seems to be doin ok now. I'm adapting to to windowsill life under a couple of flourescents and it if finally starting to acclimate. I think if you give it plenty air circulation and water it from the tray it does fine. But then again I haven't tried top watering because I don't want to wash all my babies away! LOL

~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rats! All you lucky people speak of all the good deals you get at Lowes and there isn't one any where near me. And then there are all the people who get great plants at Home Depot and our HD doesn't even carry CPs to the best of my knowledge. This is just deplorable. I feel soooooo deprived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replies! Yeah, I've noticed HDs and Lowe's are all different in what they carry, plant-wise, depending in where you go. Hubby and I hit quite a few last weekend, and only one had CPs. I guess it depends on the individual store. I guess I'll keep the ping in 1/2" of water, and let it dry out for one day before refilling, since that seems to be the general feeling I got from you. Not water logged, and not allowed to dry out either.

Randi

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds good, that's usually what happens to mine. I water them once a week really well, and the trays usually dry out around Friday.
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my primuliflora at Lowe's as well. I've tried them numerous times for a couple years, but now that I have this one (and its leaf sprouts.. woot!) with my Nep and adelae in the fluorescent tank, it's doing great.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A dead give-away for prims is the little plantlets that grow from the ends of the leaves. And that is the typical ping you find at Lowes. I saw a rather nice one today and almost bought it but I already have one so I didn't. I also saw one of the larger "assortment" plastic containers with a nep in it mislabeled as S. purpurea. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] I wish I'd had a Sharpie with me to correct the label. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast