Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photos of ping leaves please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] lay the severed leaves on any dry surface inside the plant room and wait
    Sorry, I was typing when you posted. What do you mean by any dry surface and also what do you know about cinnamon oil?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ---I use small plastic containers with clear plastic covers. They are sold for food storage, usually left-overs. I sometimes just place the Mexican Pinguicula leaves on top of the lid of one of these containers and wait. It gets good light, but only the moisture from the humidity in the air. The leaves start to dry up, but, so far, I have most usually obtained a crop of small plantlets by the time the parent leaves have shriveled up to a husk. I then plant them. I admit though that I rarely do this. Usually I put the severed leaves into a ziploc with a small quantity of barely moist LFS instead. This produces larger plantlets and the parent leaves usually persist to continue nourishing the forming plantlets.

From my experience it is kinda difficult to not obtain new plants from severed Mexican Pinguicula leaves. About the only way this will rarely work is if you don't remove the leaves manually. Even this will not prevent it from eventually happening. Nearly all of them if grown successfully for a sufficient period of time will generate some plantlets from the bases of their old dying leaves, which will then crawl out from under the parent plant.

---I had used cinnamon oil, about 1 drop in 1 pint of water and sprayed it on CP leaves affected by mites. I had some leaf damage, I believe from the cinnamon oil. I now only put cinnamon oil on pieces of paper towel and place them on the back of my fans so it can volatize into the room. It is reported to have antifungal properties. I have never worried about fungus and I only use it to inhibit mites, which I believe it does.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say I have ever tried using the salad containers from Wendy's, but I have been using old containers from take-out Chinese food for propagation purposes lately. I suppose any container that is plastic and washable would be good for propagating leaves. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some of my P. primuliflora plantlets. Leaves were simply layed on the LFS in a terrarium. They're pretty easy to propogate; lay them and leave them! I have them scattered throughout the terrarium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting your images LunaC.

OK, I'm sold. Too many pretty pictures. One of these days I'm going to go upstairs to one of my plants and apologize before I rip one of its leaves off. I can't stand seeing all these successes without trying it myself.

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ April 01 2005,2:03)]Thanks for posting your images LunaC.

OK, I'm sold. Too many pretty pictures. One of these days I'm going to go upstairs to one of my plants and apologize before I rip one of its leaves off. I can't stand seeing all these successes without trying it myself.
    There is NOTHING to it but to do it! LOL I did some last summer with summer leaves because they came off during shipping. Summer leaves aren't even recommend but even these work. Just make sure you get the base of the leaf, and give them a little humidity. I do mine in pure vermiculite. I actually just took some last night. The Savage Garden says that you can remove up to half the mother's leaves with not harm to her.

The leaves look brown in the picture, but in real life they are a very nice green.

The cuttings
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/wesley/April%20'05/Pingcuttings.jpg[/img]

The mother plant a few weeks ago, sorry the pics aren't that big, and I don't want to have to resize them(I'm lazy on Saturdays)
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/wesley/April%20'05/P.Agnata1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://home.**********.com/users/wesley/April%20'05/P.Agnata2.jpg[/img]
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laura,
    All of these little ones were started from leaf pullings of various Mexican Pinguicula plants. Best of all, each of these little plants have plenty of smaller size leaves they can easily spare to start the next round, or even make it more prolific than the first round. As you can see, if you keep on it, you can turn one plant into an incredibly large amount of plants in an amazingly short period of time. Once you have 10-20 spare plants you can easily afford to sacrifice a few to tweak your own growing technique to learn to be the best grower you can possibly be.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh Joseph, here I was all pumped to pull a leaf and I couldn't do it. The time to do it should have been back when I first received the plants, not now when the lower ones have already dies back. I missed my window of opportunity on the plants I have. Your babies look very nice and I will try to "make pings" the very next time I get a Mexican Ping. I'll have to wait.

Hey everybody... look at Josephs tags! Shopping at his house! He's got all the goodies stashed! Just teasing with you but those are very nice looking little pings.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast