What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guess what this is?

This is one of the plants my girlfriend bought me when she was at a Lowes in Florida. It appears to be trying to send up a flower so eventually I will be able to get a photo of the plant in bloom. What does everyone think this Ping might be?

Yes, I am going to repot it later on this evening. I just can't get to it right now as I need to go back outside.

0afb5163.jpg

Ah! A ping whatayacallit!! Or it could be a pinguicula beetsthacrapouttame! You'll know more when it flowers.

That is exactly what I told April I thought it was after she tod me she had seen one just like it flowering white when she bought it! Thank you for the confirmation.

Ha ha ha! You better stick to Sarracenia there my friend.

Just caught Bugs guesses-
P. whatayacallit
P. beetsthacrapouttame

Hey! They were good guesses!

Yes Bugs, very helpful indeed. My husband came up with a few similar guesses.

Uh----Great minds think alike??

It could very easily be Pinguicula ionantha. I received my start of them from just such a venue.

I also once found P. lutea in one of those pots,...but I would say it's one of the two guesses that have been mentioned(not including Bugweed's).

Cheers,

Joe

I guess we'll just have to see if it produces plantlets on its leaves and/or see flowers. I have only seen primuliflora at Lowes, but I only have limited experience.

What's wrong with my guesses, Joe?? I spelled them right! Need a flower. Very helpful. P. primuliflora has a pinkish-purple flower, purple throat. P. ionantha has a white flower, purple throat. I realize there are variations in both. As was mentioned, keep an eye peeled for plantlets.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ April 03 2005,2:11)]This is one of the plants my girlfriend bought me when she was at a Lowes in Florida. It appears to be trying to send up a flower so eventually I will be able to get a photo of the plant in bloom. What does everyone think this Ping might be?

Yes, I am going to repot it later on this evening. I just can't get to it right now as I need to go back outside.

0afb5163.jpg
P. primuliflora

That's all that is sold in those plastic cubes at lowe's.

Is that a plantlet toward the back and left, emerging from a leaf?

you don't need a flower to ID that one.

it's P. primuliflora

Back