What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another pretty pink Pinguicula

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
After further research I have determined these are actually Pinguicula gracilis x Pinguicula moctezumae
smile_k_ani_32.gif

p_agnata_x_gypsicola_web.jpg

Hay, Hellz here,
T_T so pretty
biggrin.gif

idk how you do it, its amazing ^^
any wayz, WOOT!!!
Hellz

As usual, those are some stunningly beautiful Pinguicula.  It is always a pleasure to see how well things grow for you. Keep up the good work, PinguiculaMan!  
smile.gif

Jospeh,

Is that one from me?? Because the bloom looks nothing like my agnata x gypsicola. I'd hate to think I sent something mislabeled

Travis,
No, this was one I got from Jan in Czech country.

Do you believe it to have another identity? If so, please let me know.

I didn't notice the first time, but is that a crane fly captured on the plant in the upper right-hand corner?  Wow!  I take it these plants must have unusually strong glands and mucilage due to their Pinguicula gypsicola ancestry?

That is a very nice ping!

Glenn

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Because the bloom looks nothing like my agnata x gypsicola.

its like no P. agnata x gypsicola i've ever seen - the leaf shape on mine isn't quite so perfectly straight with rounded leaf tips. I haven't seen a flower in while but that's not what if remember from mine...

Joseph,

Does it ever go dormant? And if so do you have any shots of those rosettes?

I am in agreement with Rubra that the leaf shape is different too but mine have been dormant for about 8 months so I might not be remembering my plant correctly. The flower is definitly different though. I will email you a couple flower shots tomorrow and if I have a good rosette shot I'll add that too.

If I were to hazard a guess I would say this is either an 'Aphrodite' or some other moctezumae. It is also possible that this is a totally different agnata x gypsicola clone and not Leo's, perhapse something breed by Jan independently.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ispahan @ April 04 2005,11:46)]I didn't notice the first time, but is that a crane fly captured on the plant in the upper right-hand corner?  Wow!  I take it these plants must have unusually strong glands and mucilage due to their Pinguicula gypsicola ancestry?
Good eye!
Did it actually catch that, or did you place it there, Joseph?

Cheers,

Joe

Joe,
The crane fly was trapped without any assistance by me. I first noticed it when I was setting up to take this photo.

Travis,
They produced "winter form leaves" earlier, soon after I obtained them, but have not since then.

I have Pinguicula 'Aphrodite', it is huge compared with these little ones. It has been in bloom continuously for almost a year now. Though I grow these under fluorescents also, they are on a 15 hour photoperiod. This seems presently to have inhibited any formation of "winter leaves", but gives the leaves a nice pink tinge.

P_Aphrodite_web_2.jpg

Truely a beautiful plant Joeseph! Love that color of the leaves and flower.

Steve

Here is a photograph of a different plant, obtained from another source, also identified as Pinguicula agnata x Pinguicula gypsicola. Looking at them side-by-side makes me wonder if the first one might be misidentified, its flower looks more like it might have Pinguicula moctezumae in its parentage rather than Pinguicula gypsicola?

P_agnata_gypsicola_cloneB.jpg

Further research has led me to believe the plant pictured in the opening post to this thread is actually the hybrid; Pinguicula gracilis x Pinguicula moctezumae.

Joseph,

Your clone B exactly matches my clone (as I am sure you will see from the pics I sent you a little bit ago.)

Just out of curiosity, PinguiculaMan, what exactly was your process for deducing that your plant was actually a hybrid of Pinguicula gracilis x P. moctezumae, rather than a hybrid of P. agnata x P. gypsicola?  Was it flower shape, plant size, leaf texture, coloration, etc.?  

Thanks,
Corey

All of the above, but especially comparing it to other plants. The leaves and flowers look exactly like photographs of other Pinguicula gracilis x Pinguicula moctezumae, thanks to BobZ.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ April 06 2005,9:57)]What would we do w/o Bob???

Cheers,

Joe
Spend endless hours in fruitless search to glean 4 or 5 pics instead of having the hundreds at our beck-and-call thanks to Bob.

There is one difference though, all the other photos of the leaves are green. I attribute this to cultural conditions and it is not really something new to my experience. My plants often color up more than those in other conditions.

Back