What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaves wilting

One day when I woke up and looked at my ping, all it's leaves were wilted. They weren't last night, but now even the newer leaf is wilting. I don't know why, because I watered via the tray method and all with distilled water. I gave it a touch, and it feels paper-thin. Any suggestions?

species?

Sorry. Pinguicula primuliflora.

This morning after seeing how wilted it was, I put the clear humidity cup on top of the pot. I came back later and gave it a poke, and the leaves have seemed to regain their toughness. I now have the lid back off to see if it'll wilt again...

I really don't want to keep the lid on. The rosette is already starting to grow, and I don't want it squished up against the lid.

IT is used to high humidity. It will wilt initally because it is used to so much water in the air around it. Take the lid off for a few hours then put it back on. The next day take it off for a few more. Until after a week it should be fine.

That's sound advice! Generally, many plants can go into shock by changing its environment (humidty, temp, light..) What I have done is cover the plant for a day or longer and then cover only at night, and finally keep uncovered 24/7. I do this over a period of a week. I have success with this plant in particular by keeping at a SE window and watering from around it spot - not directly into its pot, as well as watering only once or twice a week, varying its water levels.

this is the only plant besides drosophyllum that i can't keep alive. heliamphora and cephalotus? no problem. P. Primuliflora? it's my achilles heel.

Mine are Darlingtonia and Byblis linflora. P. primuliflora... not a problem - unless I drop it om the floor, grease down.

Clint, are you still interested in 50 ml centrifuge tubes?

nah it's cool man

keep up that experimenting!

I hadn't forgotten. There was that hiatus you had and I wasn't sure. I have miserable failiure with VFT's, C. follicularis, N. mirabilis, and Mexi-pings. On the other hand, D. binata has about 15-20 baby plants and D. filiformis also has many growth points by using them. I think that they would be great to put pigmy sundew gemmae in, to conserve horizintal space and yet provide for vertical space for root development.

Alright, it seemed like my ping was doing fine. It was even shooting up a flower bud! In a course of 4 days however, the leaves all started to die from the tip in, and when I gave a leaf a poke, it fell right off of the center rosette.
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Even the edges of the flower bud leafs are browning! I thought that maybe there wasn't enough roots to support the leaves, so I pulled two more weak leaves off to hopefully make leaf cuttings and save the ping! Anyone have this problem?

I think I loved it to death, just like my first VFT back in kindergarten.

Just checked on it and it's not doing any better. I fear that soon it'll be a really big leaf cutting!

Ahhhh... I checked on it this morning, and the flower stalk just tipped over and ate dirt.  I'm pretty sure it's dead.  I took off all of the remaining leaves, and put them in the plastic bag to hopefully make cuttings.  I think the harsh climate changes shocked it to death.  I guess my collection will go pingless for a bit before I can send off for another one.  I like the mexican ones better anyway.

I left the dead stalk, the bare stub, and the roots in the pot. Is there a chance of any new growth appearing there?

These plants can surprise you, down the road. Go ahead with attempting the cuttings, but don't toss the plant yet!

The moral of this story is... P. primuliflora is sensitive to climate changes! When getting a new plant, be sure to gradually ease it into it's new environment!

Yes, and they really frown upon being dropped on the floor, grease side down.

Back