User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: P. orchidioides ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pot is for scale. Flower (inset) is same scale as plant and photo is hyperlinked to higher resolution image, especially for those on broadband:

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not asking us for ID confirmation - are you? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, the "?" is just to leave it open to anyone who may have additional identifying information. The synonym is supposed to be Pinguicula stolonifera and though these are very easy to propagate (many leaves for pullings). I have yet to see them exhibit the trait of stolon production (they are most likely not Pinguicula stolonifera). The petals are narrow and come to very sharp points and they have obvious petioles with a fringe of prominent hairs (though they do not appear to be as hirsute as Pinguicula orchidioides as shown in the photos in Fernando's Postcard N5 -- Postcard N5) .

I suspect this plant may possibly be different form of Pinguicula oblongiloba or even a mimic for Pinguicula orchidioides, perhaps possibly even a form of Pinguicula moranensis, as has already been mentioned.

If this is a form of Pinguicula moranensis imitating a different species - how would this be determined? If this is Pinguicula oblongiloba - how would identification be certain?

Though I love Pinguicula I am sometimes frustrated by the amount of misidentification that exists (though I'm sure it could be much worse). I try to be as discriminating as possible in order to avoid magnifying the confusion. BobZ has really helped my task by organizing and consolidating existing web-based photographic information. Still there are conundrums to be unraveled.

--Pinguicula moranensis (var. orchidioides), a purported mimic of Pinguicula orchidioides.
    --Pinguicula orchidioides --- mention has been made that this species is not in general cultivation. Could a positive identification be made by observation of the wet, nape-hair, look of the petiole? Do other Pinguicula species exhibit this trait?
    --Pinguicula stolonifera

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew it couldn't be so!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this plant but it is still a baby so I can't match it to your photo. Very interesting though. I will have to remember this thread and check it out after my plant matures.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your plants look VERY much like P.orchidioides, but I have a feeling they're not, I'm sorry to say...

I think you have P.moranensis. For more info about P.orchidioides and my opinions about this species, please read postcards 4 and 5 on Eric Partrat's webpage:

http://a-world-of-pinguicula.webheberg.com/A_world....d_4.htm

http://a-world-of-pinguicula.webheberg.com/A_world....d_5.htm

Take Care,
    Fernando Rivadavia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well they are nice anyhow.