What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. orchidioides ?

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
Pot is for scale. Flower (inset) is same scale as plant and photo is hyperlinked to higher resolution image, especially for those on broadband:

<a href="http://www.wjclemens.com/butterwort/orchidioides/P_orchidioides_comp_web.jpg">
P_orchidioides_comp_webA1.jpg
</a>

You're not asking us for ID confirmation - are you?
biggrin.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

No, the "?" is just to leave it open to anyone who may have additional identifying information. The synonym is supposed to be Pinguicula stolonifera and though these are very easy to propagate (many leaves for pullings). I have yet to see them exhibit the trait of stolon production (they are most likely not Pinguicula stolonifera). The petals are narrow and come to very sharp points and they have obvious petioles with a fringe of prominent hairs (though they do not appear to be as hirsute as Pinguicula orchidioides as shown in the photos in Fernando's Postcard N°5 -- Postcard N°5) .

I suspect this plant may possibly be different form of Pinguicula oblongiloba or even a mimic for Pinguicula orchidioides, perhaps possibly even a form of Pinguicula moranensis, as has already been mentioned.

If this is a form of Pinguicula moranensis imitating a different species - how would this be determined? If this is Pinguicula oblongiloba - how would identification be certain?

Though I love Pinguicula I am sometimes frustrated by the amount of misidentification that exists (though I'm sure it could be much worse). I try to be as discriminating as possible in order to avoid magnifying the confusion. BobZ has really helped my task by organizing and consolidating existing web-based photographic information. Still there are conundrums to be unraveled.

--Pinguicula moranensis (var. orchidioides), a purported mimic of Pinguicula orchidioides.
--Pinguicula orchidioides --- mention has been made that this species is not in general cultivation. Could a positive identification be made by observation of the wet, nape-hair, look of the petiole? Do other Pinguicula species exhibit this trait?
--Pinguicula stolonifera

I knew it couldn't be so!

I have this plant but it is still a baby so I can't match it to your photo. Very interesting though. I will have to remember this thread and check it out after my plant matures.

Well they are nice anyhow.

Back